• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

putting exhaust brake on stock 2004.5 48re

Gerry R

I've searched the transmission threads and couldn't find out what would be involved putting a PacBrake or similar exhaust brake on my stock 48re. My combined gross weight is 17.5k and so interstates are no problem but on secondary roads where you can have 10% and higher grades I could use more stopping power.

Ive been looking into this for my 04. Ive looked into all BD products so im going to use their names. You would need the exhaust brake, a transmission controller (towloc), and I would get the valve body so that your holding pressure would be higher. :2cents:

• Staff

I would go with a PXRB from pac brake. I would also consider mild trans upgrades to hold the retarding power. Anyway you go you will need a controller to lock the torque converter. I personally don't like the way BD regulates pressure, looks too easy to plug and fail which would push too much back-pressure to the head.