• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Auto Trans ?

I have pulled about 6 heavy loads with my auto since I got it and I stared using the OD switch to make it down shift, all I do is take it out of TOW then put it back in tow and it will down shift nice and smooth instead of me pushing pedal and making it down shift hard and blowing smoke everywhere. Has anybody else tryed this and am I hurting the trans?I dont see where it would be a bad thing due to it down shifts nice a smooth. :think:

I have pulled about 6 heavy loads with my auto since I got it and I stared using the OD switch to make it down shift, all I do is take it out of TOW then put it back in tow and it will down shift nice and smooth instead of me pushing pedal and making it down shift hard and blowing smoke everywhere. Has anybody else tryed this and am I hurting the trans? I dont see where it would be a bad thing due to it down shifts nice a smooth. :think:

I sure hope it would cause no problems. I have been doing it that way for years.

I have pulled about 6 heavy loads with my auto since I got it and I stared using the OD switch to make it down shift, all I do is take it out of TOW then put it back in tow and it will down shift nice and smooth instead of me pushing pedal and making it down shift hard and blowing smoke everywhere. Has anybody else tryed this and am I hurting the trans? I dont see where it would be a bad thing due to it down shifts nice a smooth. :think:

I also have been using the tow mode switch, but I usually don't put it back into tow/haul mode, I will try that next time I am pulling my 34 5th wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2004.5 has the tow/ hall switch but it doesn't seem to do much different than my old 2001 when it was just on/off for overdrive. With both I leave it in overdrive and let it kickdown on its own then I may hit the switch to hold it till I want it to go back into 4th. I pull a 8k+ toy hauler and it seems to be just fine using overdrive.

• Staff

The 05's have either tow/haul or OD off, but not both. I am not sure which way they came from the factory, but the dealership could program the other.

Let me see if I can find any info.

- - - Updated - - -

Found it.

So if you have 4th gear (OD) with the tow/haul enabled then you have tow/haul. If you never get OD with it enabled you only have OD off and no tow/haul shift schedule.

Models: 2005 (DH) Ram Truck (2500/3500)

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 5.9L Cummins turbo-diesel engine

and a 48RE automatic transmission (sales codes ETH and DGB respectively).

Overview:

This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Cummins Engine Control

Module (ECM) with new software.

Symptom/Condition:

1. The following enhancement is included with this software:

a. A new 48RE transmission feature that will allow normal shift schedule with full

disable of 4th gear (overdrive gear), when the customer selects the Over-Drive

(O/D) switch.

Prior to the implementation of this new transmission feature, the use of the O/D switch

changed the automatic transmission shift schedule from a "normal" shift schedule to a

tow/haul mode shift schedule, and allowed 4th gear (overdrive gear) engagement

This new transmission feature will not change the transmission shift schedule, but will

allow full 4th gear overdrive disable (lock out). With this new feature the customer

will have the "normal' shift schedule with NO overdrive (4th gear).

NOTE: To enable the new 4th gear disable feature, the ECM must first be

reprogrammed (flashed) with the latest software level, and then the 4th gear disable

feature "O/D OFF ENABLE" must be selected (turned on) using the DRBIII.

Tow/haul mode is not an available feature whenever the DRBIII has enabled the "O/D OFF ENABLE" selection.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The 05's have either tow/haul or OD off, but not both. I am not sure which way they came from the factory, but the dealership could program the other.

Let me see if I can find any info.

- - - Updated - - -

Found it.

So if you have 4th gear (OD) with the tow/haul enabled then you have tow/haul. If you never get OD with it enabled you only have OD off and no tow/haul shift schedule.

Models: 2005 (DH) Ram Truck (2500/3500)

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 5.9L Cummins turbo-diesel engine

and a 48RE automatic transmission (sales codes ETH and DGB respectively).

Overview:

This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Cummins Engine Control

Module (ECM) with new software.

Symptom/Condition:

1. The following enhancement is included with this software:

a. A new 48RE transmission feature that will allow normal shift schedule with full

disable of 4th gear (overdrive gear), when the customer selects the Over-Drive

(O/D) switch.

Prior to the implementation of this new transmission feature, the use of the O/D switch

changed the automatic transmission shift schedule from a "normal" shift schedule to a

tow/haul mode shift schedule, and allowed 4th gear (overdrive gear) engagement

This new transmission feature will not change the transmission shift schedule, but will

allow full 4th gear overdrive disable (lock out). With this new feature the customer

will have the "normal' shift schedule with NO overdrive (4th gear).

NOTE: To enable the new 4th gear disable feature, the ECM must first be

reprogrammed (flashed) with the latest software level, and then the 4th gear disable

feature "O/D OFF ENABLE" must be selected (turned on) using the DRBIII.

Tow/haul mode is not an available feature whenever the DRBIII has enabled the "O/D OFF ENABLE" selection.

OK, my '06 has both. If I push the button once, the transmission goes into tow/haul mode (read out on dash) and changes the shift pattern. Push the button the second time and the trans drops out of O/D and the "O/D off" wording lights up on the dash. Push the button again and transmission goes into normal operation.

Is this normal on the "06 and up. Or something the PO had done via a download?