• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rachet Straps

We all use rachet straps... I confess I hated to go to them but they work... I bought the latest set of 4 (1" X 15') at Harbor Freight... (figures they are now on sale for even less.) The package completely enclosed the products. I used the straps last weekend to tie my scooter down on the landscaper's trailer... never gave it much thought. When I got home, one of the straps was almost severed where the THIN strap rubbed on the steel... the contact point was well rounded, I thought. I'm convinced that the straps are inferior, just too thin. I noticed that for the same money or nearly so, the Home Depot has rachet straps with heavier webbing... and the package is open so you can feel the webbing to know what you are getting. I'm not going to buy another strap where the package precludes touching the webbing. Sure, I can extend the life by altering how I tie down... and I will... but the quality does count for something. Lesson learned...

In my business, I go through a lot of ratchet straps. I've found that over the past couple of years, the 'home-grade' RS's have gotten much, much cheaper in quality.HD has decent RSs. I prefer to use the Quickloader straps, usually 1.25" wide, or the 1.5" ones. They seem to resist abrasions fairly well. Of course, they're $25-30 ea. 1500lb strength. But I'd bet that scooter is worth a little more than $50 worth of straps ;)

I don't care where the straps come from... but I'm realizing that if I can't touch the webbing, I don't want to buy it. (The plastic display packaging keeps one from feeling & touching the strap itself.) This may be an over simplification but it's a working theory. I have never had a rachet mechanism fail, though some are easier to work than others.

I use straps a lot. The HD ones used to be much better. The last couple of years they have used thinner metal in the handles. The sad thing is they are still better than anyone else. I am talking about the big yellow ones. I think all small straps are weak.

I ran across a deal on the yellow Erickson 2"x15' ones, caj, back in January. I bought 20 of them for $8 each in a business blowout. They're normally around $20ea.Also got 6 of the Ratchet-Strap 4"x30' ones for $15ea. (normally $50-60ea).

• Staff

I went to Freuhuaf (sp.) trucking and got my 1 1/2'' wide ones. Had them for over ten years now and use them on my flatbed 92 ctd. I paid 14 bucks each for them back then and they are the best you can get.