• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

starter or solenoid going out? possible rebuild?

Hi GuysNew to the forum and relatively new to cummins and diesels all together. I have a 2002 3500 and have been having trouble witht the starter lately........I think.I searched the forum and think i may have found the problem but wanted to double check and make sure i am on the right track.Anyways, for the last month or month and a half i have been randomly getting a single click when i attempt to start my truck. At first it would only do it once or twice then start up. After a few times of this i popped the hood and noticed i had a loose batter connection with some corrosion so i cleaned it up and tightened it and it was better for a little while. it would be fine for several days and then start doing it again. i kept noticing corrosion on that same terminal so i would clean it off and usaully could get it to start after a try or two. well recently it has been getting real bad, sometimes im not able to start it at all and then the next day it just starts right up. I always get the click if it doesnt start though. I went ahead and replaced both batteries one broken terminal and cleaned all the connections up real good. went to start it right after and nothing but clicks again. unhooked the live and ground on the solenoid (i think it was the solenoid) under the truck, cleaned them up good and got nothing but a click again. Couple more clicks and then it begin starting everytime. was able to start it everytime for about 10 starts and then it went back to just clicking. i checked the gounds coming off the batteries adn cleaned them but still get them same thing. it is random and will start all the time one day and then not at all the next. again always clicking when it wont start.is this a bad starter or solenoid? do i need to buy new or a rebuild from LarryB that i read about on other posts?Thanks Tyler

You should not forsake the fact that there is another side to this site. There are many useful articles on here for common problems. One of them, being the starter. http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/26-engine-systems/123-starter-operation-and-specs http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/26-engine-systems/124-starter-contact-replacement Hope that helps.

Sounds like your starter contacts need attention. Very easy to do yourself so unless you have no skills or tools, dont pay someone to do this. Sometimes they click and sometimes they click once and internally short out and cause the starter fuse to pop. There are many vendors who carry replacement contact kits which include the plunger for about $25.And also the OEM starter is very stout. If you ever need to change it out, I highly suggest having someone rebuild it since the over the counter life time warranty ones are usually junk. Sure you can get a new one for nothing but who wants to go through that over and over?

thanks for the advice guysLooks like i need new contacts. Luckily looks like something i can handle.one other thing it did for the first time this evening is the starter stuck on. I got home and after i shut the truck down i decided to try to start it again to see if was acting up. It started right up but the starter stuck on for several seconds.Is this also a sign of bad contacts?