• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

This is how I spent my Sunday

hex0rz

It eventually came to pass, that a house within our fire district was utilized as an opprotunity to receive some training. The homeowners turned it over to us and we were able to burn it down. Much preperation was taken to ready the house for us to conduct our training. Asbestos crews had to come in and remove the nasty stuff before we could do anything to it.

We utilized their garage for a previous dept. training in fire investigation. Later, it became another means for adding more fuel load to the house. The local paper had a photographer come on Saturday while we were doing our live fire training. He actually suited up and went into the house with us! He was able to take some pretty spectacular pictures.

On Saturday, we had 4 rotations and two battalions. Our rotations were:

1. Initial fire attack

2. Control, to keep the fire at bay while the fire attack team made their way to the fire for safety aspect

3. Search and Rescue team, to find a 150lb. dummy while the attack team went in

4. Backup, to come in after the initial attack team just in case the fire got out of control

All in all we did this for 8 hours of training. We had 3 other dept. in the surrounding area we invited to come join us in the training. WHAT A DAY! :thumb1:

So, on Sunday, to conclude our relationship with the lot, we burned down the house! We had our dept. apparatus' doing the work. We brought our old and trusty long-time dedicated pumper, Engine 5. We also brought our newly added apparatus, pumper 1121. Then for added protection, we brought our quint, Ladder 1 or AKA 1141.

We deployed 4 handlines, One 3/4" wildland line to protect exposures on the apt. roofs behind the house. Then deployed the water cannon on the ladder.

Our plan of action was to burn the house down in a fashion that would cause it to fall away from the nearest neighboring house and to protect all exposures doing this all in the safest manner possible.

I was assigned to the handline at the Alpha, Delta corner to protect exposures. The neighboring house, trees and fence were to be kept from catching fire. Also, to keep the A, D sides of the house cool to all it to be the strongest remaining part of the structure to allow it to collapse away from the neighbors house.

We had a good turnout from the public watching. Some driving by even thought we were trying to save the structure and commended us for our attempt. Little did they know this was done on purpose! :lmao:

I for one had a great time and was excited to see it all go down and let alone be apart of it all. It was great training and one heck of way to spend my last days with the fire dept. Here is the EYE CANDY! :pant:

Posted Image

We built a cradle out of pallets for the accelsior so we could burn the house down. Holes were made right above to allow the flames to go in between the walls.

Posted Image

This was the earliest picture my wife took of the house. Nothing much special happened before this anyways. In this picture, flashover has already occured and the house is fully involved. Any attempt for initial attack and search and rescue would be fatal to firefighters and no one would survive this if they were entrapped. Fire conditions have caused the house to decompose to the point now that a structural collapse is imminent.

Posted Image

House is structurally unstable and collapse has occured on the Charlie side.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm the one sitting on the ground with the handline protecting exposures.

The house collapsed not exactly as hoped for. But, nonetheless, nothing occured that was not expected. The A, D side of the house pretty much just folded in on itself and it did not breach the collapse zone.

There was alot of hardwood that made up this structure and the fire was still burning when I left for home. We had a duty person on site to babysit the fire. I imagine that today, it is still hot, even.

Well hope it was somewhat entertaining for you guys to see some of these pictures! I certainly wish I could have gotten video!

Wow! :drool: Between you, me and the fence post I might be back to fire fighting again. There is a long story but I'm not going to hijack your thread...

Theres always time for storytelling. :thumb1:

i am on the E.R.T./fire brigade at the refinery i work at.starting online coarse for a month and then 2 weeks of hands on and then i will have my fire fighter1 under my belt..refinery paying for all of it!!

Are you gonna have to take a test? Otherwise you won't get it. I wonder how you could get it as well as FF1 involves other aspects that I don't see you being active in working at a refinery. I been known to be wrong though. :whistle:

Reminds me of my younger days on a volunteer fire department. Very enjoyable times, I wish sometimes I could go back.

IT has been the most challenging, rewarding experience of my life, so far! :thumbup2: If I could ever become the 30%, I would. Great career to gave IMO.

• Owner

Theres always time for storytelling. :thumb1:

Hmmm... I can say much of the present yet... But I can speak for my past! Poe Cabin fire - Taking a moment from the heat of the day. Manning my great Ford 550 engine. Poe Cabin fire was a lightning strike fire that started near a historic cabin and was mismanaged (in my opinion) and a lot of damaged was done. post-2-13869818959_thumb.jpg Watching a tree torch off. Very wicked experience! (Poe Cabin fire) post-2-138698189597_thumb.jpg I can post tons of pictures and such of past fires I've word for the 6 years of service. :wink: Spotting Heaven's Gate Fire with the Engine 11... (My fav little diesel truck!) post-2-138698189602_thumb.jpg