• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Pete Gould's P/S & Vacuum Pump repair kit

Just wanted to make another plug for Pete's awesome kit. Another satisfied customer here with the instructions, video, and 'tools' to get the old seal out. My driveway hasn't looked this clean in months, and of course, she's a happy truck not dripping oil down onto the axle. I must have called Pete about 5 times when I did the repair and he was happy to help out every time.

• Like 1

Good to hear, I installed his alternator rebuild kit but need to do the pump kit too.

When you do the pump kit, here's a little tidbit that saved me some trouble. When you go to slide the reassembled pump assembly back into the timing gear housing, it's necessary to rotate the pump gear slightly to get it to mesh into place. I found it extremely difficult to do that while at the same time holding the gasket in place while lining up the mounting holes for the bolts. As Pete mentions in the video you almost need 3 hands for this process. Fortunately, I had a helper, but still found it difficult. What I did was rotate the alternator ever so slightly by hand with 15/16 socket like when doing a valve lash adjustment, while at the same time my helper kept pressure on the pump assembly and she slid right into place. Just thought I'd put this out there for anyone who might get some use out of it.
  • Like 1

When you do the pump kit, here's a little tidbit that saved me some trouble. When you go to slide the reassembled pump assembly back into the timing gear housing, it's necessary to rotate the pump gear slightly to get it to mesh into place. I found it extremely difficult to do that while at the same time holding the gasket in place while lining up the mounting holes for the bolts. As Pete mentions in the video you almost need 3 hands for this process. Fortunately, I had a helper, but still found it difficult. What I did was rotate the alternator ever so slightly by hand with 15/16 socket like when doing a valve lash adjustment, while at the same time my helper kept pressure on the pump assembly and she slid right into place. Just thought I'd put this out there for anyone who might get some use out of it.

Without a DOUBT, re-installing the vacuum pump/PS unit into the truck was the HARDEST repair I ever have done on this truck. I was by myself and with the weight of the P/S unit it was heavy in the rear. Was very hard to get it on while re-meching the gears and keeping the gasket and bolts straight. I almost had a lawn ornament that night. I was ready to leave the truck for dead and became America's No.1 Sailorman.

Is this worth doing if there is nothing wrong? My vac pump seems to work, do they need to be "freshened up" or just wait till it goes out?Hmmm just read the site, doesnt redo the actual pump just the seal between the pump and power steering. Will have to look again. Had a fuel leak for the longest in that area so now I need to see if it gets overly dirty there again.

Bob,there is really very little to go wrong in the pump itself. 4 phenolic vanes, and the input "bearing". (there is not a bearing, it is just the front assembly with a properly sized hole in the aluminum.) our most usual failure is the rear seal (as the vacuum pump runs flooded with engine oil.) So no I would not do this as preventative maintenance. But, if you are leaking, it is easy to fix. Pete is a great fellow.HTH Hag

• Like 1