• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47RE by Cottman

I am in the need to have a transmission built for my truck (in sig). I would LOVE a fully built unit, but at this point in life funds just arnt there for a fully built monster. I have been looking around and a friend told me about Cottman Transmissions. The company he works for has had them put together some trannys for there work trucks before and they have had good luck. I am wondering if anyone on here has used them, or knows anything about them. I asked IF I could supply the TQ converter and VB but they said they wont install customer parts. They use Trans star and Whit (?) products. Has anyone heard of them? I would like to atleast get a decent single disc conveter, and VB in it.I plan on leaving my truck like it is, stock. Once the warranty runs out on the trans, or I feel the need to upgrade, I will have a good solid base to upgrade the VB, and TQ converter.I use the truck to pull about 6-8,000lbs a few times a year. It wont see any heavy towing. What thoughts/concerns should I be thinking of? I am pretty new to all this, and im trying to make the best choice for my current needs.

How much they quoting and what warranty ?

They wont quote a price with out looking at it. Im going to get it up there next weekend and let them look it over. Its a free inspection, at that point I assume they will give me a price. I forgot to ask about the warranty. There is one, I just dont know how long it is. When I asked about bringing parts I was told that they dont use customer parts b/c of their warranty.

I am in the need to have a transmission built for my truck (in sig). I would LOVE a fully built unit, but at this point in life funds just arnt there for a fully built monster. I have been looking around and a friend told me about Cottman Transmissions. The company he works for has had them put together some trannys for there work trucks before and they have had good luck. I am wondering if anyone on here has used them, or knows anything about them. I asked IF I could supply the TQ converter and VB but they said they wont install customer parts. They use Trans star and Whit (?) products. Has anyone heard of them? I would like to atleast get a decent single disc conveter, and VB in it. I plan on leaving my truck like it is, stock. Once the warranty runs out on the trans, or I feel the need to upgrade, I will have a good solid base to upgrade the VB, and TQ converter. I use the truck to pull about 6-8,000lbs a few times a year. It wont see any heavy towing. What thoughts/concerns should I be thinking of? I am pretty new to all this, and im trying to make the best choice for my current needs.

For your needs, there is no need to spend extra for upgrades unless, it's something you want for the sake of wanting. Good reliable stock rebuild parts will do you just fine, in my opinion.

I dont want to do it myself. Its worth it to me to have someone else do the work. I am ok at part swapping, but when it comes to going in and doing fine detail work, I would rather someone who knows what there doing to do it. Thats a big, heavy transmission to drop down and it would suck really bad to have to pull it all back apart because a snap ring went in wrong, or check ball went missing.

I dont want to do it myself. Its worth it to me to have someone else do the work. I am ok at part swapping, but when it comes to going in and doing fine detail work, I would rather someone who knows what there doing to do it. Thats a big, heavy transmission to drop down and it would suck really bad to have to pull it all back apart because a snap ring went in wrong, or check ball went missing.

That wasn't doing it yourself ? :shrug: $400-500 for parts (rebuild kit) $560 7 hours x 80 per hour. $50 in fluids $1k low end .... $1250 Extra costs are TC - say $1200 VB - say $450 Output Shafts - say $900

That wasn't doing it yourself ? :shrug: $400-500 for parts (rebuild kit) $560 7 hours x 80 per hour. $50 in fluids $1k low end .... $1250 Extra costs are TC - say $1200 VB - say $450 Output Shafts - say $900

oh, ok I miss understood. I would be happy if I was back up and running for less than $1500 Later I may step up to a good single disc TC and a VB. Revmax is 3 hrs from me. I would probably go with some of there stuff. side note- you would upgrade the output shaft(s?) before the input? or was 900 for both?

oh, ok I miss understood. I would be happy if I was back up and running for less than $1500 Later I may step up to a good single disc TC and a VB. Revmax is 3 hrs from me. I would probably go with some of there stuff. side note- you would upgrade the output shaft(s?) before the input? or was 900 for both?

Just go revmax then. They warranty their work. They were only company not to try and rip me off over phone. They will be a bit more expensive. Due to warranty and shop rate being a bit higher. If your going to do it - do it all now - else youll pay to drop it again for the TC.

Just go revmax then. They warranty their work. They were only company not to try and rip me off over phone. They will be a bit more expensive. Due to warranty and shop rate being a bit higher. If your going to do it - do it all now - else youll pay to drop it again for the TC.

I will get a hold of Revmax and see if they do stock builds and see if they can add in a TC and VB, but I doubt it. I called them when I 1st had issues and they said I would need a whole transmission and the built unit they sell starts at 4k. I dont have 4k to spend on it right now, and wont for sometime. I would rather just put a stock transmission in now, so that way I can get rolling again. Edit** Revmax does not do stock rebuilds, only built units.

I will get a hold of Revmax and see if they do stock builds and see if they can add in a TC and VB, but I doubt it. I called them when I 1st had issues and they said I would need a whole transmission and the built unit they sell starts at 4k. I dont have 4k to spend on it right now, and wont for sometime. I would rather just put a stock transmission in now, so that way I can get rolling again. Edit** Revmax does not do stock rebuilds, only built units.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Cummins-transmission-BILLET-CONVERTER-47re-48re-/221063622448?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item33786b2f30

Over spent my budget, but I think I have a transmission that will be be perfect for me. I contacted the seller in the link above, had a good talk with him and we are going to do business. Cryo-Hardened input, Billet Single disc converter and the rest of the goodies. I am doing Local pick up, and he cut me a better deal than what on his site. :cool: No its not a full build, but for my needs, It'll do pig.. It'll do! :cummins:

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to Bump this thread with an update. I went with the above mentioned ebay transmission. However, I looked him up and found his website. He is local to me, and I worked out a cash deal. I have about 1,500 miles on it and it is GREAT! I pull my Toyota 600 miles, part of it threw the mtns, and it did great. Perforance Innovations