• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New chip wanted

My Quadzilla XZT+ is just the right bump for my needs now. It has a "off" setting, I normally run it on +35 which is like the mileage max, I've only towed heavy with it once... played with switching in & out of high +65-70hp. You can feel the bump when you do it on a hill. Next time I think I might just leave it in +65 in hilly country. There's one harness to thread under the hood, through the firewall. I have the harness tucked under the edge of the carpet & the XZT the same. The little 3 position toggle is through the right knee panel, easy to reach. Quadzilla has downloadable tunes on their web site... some add additional features... I'd do it again. No complaints from me.

The edge comp or edge/drag gets my vote. To me the edge comp boxes are the ak47's of boxes,they work no matter what :lol:. I keep mine on 5x5 most of the time. If it gets 90* or more and i am on the breeze way i turn it down because my truck will haze.

Guys,Please keep explaining.... I am similar to Kman, except I have no chip at all at the moment. So I am trying to glean from your experiences."tapping the pump". I have heard this mentioned before. What difference does it make. ( I have seen the stealth plate etc) is this just for interrupting the pump timing?ThanksHag

• Owner

I also run a Edge Comp and keep it set on 5x5. Very controllable, it does smoke don't get me wrong but when a slight learning curve you can drive smokeless. Then with the other little mods I've done I'm reach good solid 20+ MPG without think most days. * BHAF* AirDog 150* RV275 injectors* IAT / MPG Fooler (Set to 143*F)* Edge Comp Tapped and set for 5x5The thing I like about Edge Comp over all other products. The fact you DON'T have all your eggs in on basket. Then the Edge Comp give you the ability for adjusting fuelling rates for you road conditions. That's about the only time I start dropping the settings on the Edge Comp is in the winter time to allow the truck to gain traction. 25 levels of adjustment so I'm sure you'll find a setting for your conditions. As for gauges you've got to to supply your own which is a good thing. I've seen so many times where Edge Juice screws up and wipes out the gauges and may or may not still have performance. At least with my setup if a lose a gauge its just 1 gauge... I can replace it for much less than the whole Edge Juice. Edge Comp has no toyz, alarm or limits... This good too. This means less stuff the box has to tap into and less things to go wrong. Most times out of ten people mis-set the alarms and limits features wrong and end up with a box that is doggy on the upper end way too early. Edge Comp is so simple that it only has 8 wires total coming out of the the box. (Power -/+, MAP, CAN-BUS, pump tap) that's it! Very simple unit, very small, but very powerful! :thumb1:As for programmer like Smarty or SuperChips why they are limited to 60-65 HP. This simple because all a programmer does is change the existing fuel to boost tables around but never extends the table past 20 PSI. So even though the ECM has boost fooling now there is no data to support fuelling past 20 PSI in the ECM this why they come up short on the upper end for power. Like also listening in on some of AH64ID posting I've also learn there is a limit of how many time yo can flash a ECM before the PROM becomes unstable / unusable. This number is in the thousands but it still a risk that your taking with a ECM.Where the Programmers come up short the wire tapped products fill the gap. Because now after the boost exceeds the 20 PSI mark the enhancement box has fuelling tables the 20+ PSI of boost and uses the CAN-BUS and the wire tap to control the VP44 with the enhanced fuelling table. This is why I always suggest a product that taps the pump because now you have a wider range of control over the VP44 over a non-tapped product like a programmer.

The thing I like about Edge Comp over all other products. The fact you DON'T have all your eggs in on basket. Then the Edge Comp give you the ability for adjusting fuelling rates for you road conditions. That's about the only time I start dropping the settings on the Edge Comp is in the winter time to allow the truck to gain traction. 25 levels of adjustment so I'm sure you'll find a setting for your conditions. As for gauges you've got to to supply your own which is a good thing. I've seen so many times where Edge Juice screws up and wipes out the gauges and may or may not still have performance. At least with my setup if a lose a gauge its just 1 gauge... I can replace it for much less than the whole Edge Juice. Edge Comp has no toyz, alarm or limits... This good too. This means less stuff the box has to tap into and less things to go wrong. Most times out of ten people mis-set the alarms and limits features wrong and end up with a box that is doggy on the upper end way too early. Edge Comp is so simple that it only has 8 wires total coming out of the the box. (Power -/+, MAP, CAN-BUS, pump tap) that's it! Very simple unit, very small, but very powerful! :thumb1:

:whistle:

Kind of related to the chip question, is the hot unlock on the edge worth the money ? Do you see power increase,or faster response or ????

Without supporting mods all you get is quicker throttle, more smoke and heat. I've got it but with stock turbo and sticks, it's kinda useless to me for now . From the Galaxy S3
  • Like 1

I like my edge comp. Why not keep the superchips and add some bigger injectors?

My truck seems to shift funny when I have the Superchip installed. A friend of mine, his father in-law had a Superchip in his Power Stroke and had the same issues. Took it in to the dealer, they told him to remove the chip and "WALLA", no more funny shifting. I have it out now and I too have no more funny shifting. I am not looking to road tearing power, I just want a little more juice while towing and when those big hills are a comin:lol:

You'll like the Edge, then. You sound like me. I'm not trying to peel up the pavement, just need the umph when I need it..I've got my Edge disco'd right now, chasing another problem, and WOW, what a difference without it.. Truck feels like a turd now LOL

I have the Quadzilla on my truck since february and I have already made three phone calls to quadzilla with problems. I have everything fixed now and I'm gonna sell it and buy and edge comp with hot unlock. I have friends of mine that have run the comp box for years with no issues and i'm tired of fighting quadzilla.

I had a superchip programmer in my powerstroke 7.3, it flew with that thing, the difference was electronic fuel injectors, so the tuner could control more things. I had the edge ez on my cummins first, then moved up to comp. Simple works everyday, clear instructions good power.Never understood why the smarty cost so much when it is still a timing and duration tuner.Im going to install rv275's when they arrive, im sure that will be a good boost with the comp.