• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Another 1689 dtc question

Hello. I was wondering if anybody can answer me this one just to satisfy my curiosity. Theres a guy over on CF who's Raptor 100 quit due to dirt in the gears. He got a P0230 which makes sense and also a p1689 code. How can lift pump trouble cause a 1689? The last time I got one the VP was done. What really baffles me is he said once the lift pump was fixed it cleared all the codes. What am I missing?

• Owner

Here is the diagnostics for the P1689 code... http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/228-p1689-no-communication-between-ecm-and-vp44 But typically the fuel flow stops or slows to point he the pressure falls below 14 PSI the overflow valve starts closing and the cooling fuel disappears so now the computer on the VP44 (FPCM Fuel Pump Control Module) start losing its cooling fuel and the electronics starting getting hot. Yes. I know there is a P0168 code for over temp but in all these years I've never seen 1 report of it. http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/155-p0168-decreased-engine-performance-due-to-high-injection-pump-fuel-temperature I consider the P0168 code worthless because you'll never see it. :rolleyes:

• Owner

Maybe or maybe not... Depends on how hot the electronics might of gotten. It might be other things too.

[h=2]Possible Causes[/h]

[*] Wiring & Connectors

[*] Fuel Injection Pump Relay Output Circuit Open

[*] Ground Circuit Open Or High Resistance

[*] Datalink (+) Circuit Open

[*] Datalink (+) Circuit Shorted To Ground

[*] Datalink (-) Open

[*] Datalink (-) Shorted To Ground

[*] ECM