• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Smokers and Grillers Thread

Rogan

Smoked 12 racks of ribs yesterday.. (6) St. Louis cuts, (6) BB cuts.

Homemade dry-rub, Mesquite wood for smoke over lump hardwood coal.

For S&Gs, I decided to smoke a few racks on the propane side of the grill..

Took a few mods (quick little 'adjustments', so to speak) to the burner layout for smoke, but it did quite well!

(Gas side on the left)

Posted Image

Above pic taken after I'd already removed some finished racks!

holy toledo.. DEE-LISHUS! lol

post-10339-1386981917_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I perfer cold smoked meat myself. Not a fan of having my meat already half cooked via the smoking process. I grew up old school, Butcher shops are required to take it up to a certain temp for a set length of time which basically cooks it already. Dam Government regs:doh:.Growing up it was a sin to cut up a beef carcass before it hung for a couple weeks and aged, if it was not covered in natural molds to help tenderize and flavor it you wasted an animal. :pant:

Yeah, and people rode horses everywhere. Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Not quite that old school! :evilgrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, and people rode horses everywhere. Lol

So apparently w&f will be turning down my smoked ribs and brisket.. ;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Ribs and Brisket are the waste cuts of meat, what doesn't get ground into burger goes to the dogs.:2cents:

I am not a fan of BBQ in general. I like my meat straight up Medium Rare with basic spices.

We Never smoked any beef though, we always home smoked and cured our own pork hams and bacon and country sausage.:pant: Also smoke deer sausage all cold smoked with apple wood "The best by far"and or Hickory wood chips, have tried mesquite a few times but it can get overpowering if used alone.

I agree on the cuts but they're still good :tongue: I rarely smoke beef. Pork butts and ribs mostly. I slow-smoked some venison for a coworker a week ago ad it was really good. Used apple and smoked really low and slow for about 13hrs .Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

smoked some more ribs and a quartered pork shoulder yesterday. I changed up a little technique on the fire part. Yesterday, instead of using the grate to hold the fire's fuel, I bought a $10 stainless steel colander from Target (3qt.)

Reasoning:

Try to keep the wood and charcoals together and confined, along with ease of cleaning, and longer burn times

Amount of fuel used:

I used a total of about 5qts of volume of fueling. The initial fill, and one refill of about 2qts worth later on.

About 3 pcs of Hickory (3"dia x 10"long)

Thoughts:

There are both pros and cons..

[*]PROS

[*]much longer burn time per fuel volume

[*]ease of cleaning ash bin

[*]less flare-ups when opening the woodbox door

[*]CONS

[*]The holes in my chosen colander were too small..

[*] Great for long burn times, but

[*]bad for clearing ash. The holes were small at the lower sections of the colander, causing it to be quite difficult to shake out the ash as it accumulated. This causes the burn temp to be a little low for my needs, and I struggled to get the temps up beyond 200-210*F

I can rectify the small-hole issue with my uni-bit, and will retest maybe next weekend.

I had to suppliment the wood's heat with a propane burner. Partly due to it was a tad cool yesterday, and very overcast. My smoker is made of thin metal, and will disipate the heat fairly quickly when it's overcast..