• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Error code just showed up

• Staff

Now I got code 216:cry: after code 230 cleared by itself. Truck runs smooth as glass with no symptoms:think:. Has new Raptor 100 with the harness. Running 17.5 fuel pressure. Volt meter shows 13.1 volts at the lift pump when you bump the starter. Batteries at 13.6. fuel relay in the PDC tests good. Both filters changed 3,000 miles back with A clean and clear bowl on the Racor filter bowl.Okay, should I switch out the primary filter (suction side) from a 45 g.p.h. to a 90 g.p.h.? Might have too much restriction. I know I can pull f/p from 17.5 down to 14 with half inch fuel lines all the way.Should I not go to Yosemite with the 216 error code? It's a 1300 mile round trip...:think: T.I.A.

• Staff

I had an 0216 pop up on me a year or so ago just out of the blue too. I erased it and havent even thought about it till now. Its been nearly 10k miles since then too.

Is it still there? Goin out now to see if the code will clear... will report back.

• Staff

I checked the flow on the return fuel. As you run up the rpm's the flow increases. A good sign, but, it's possible that the 216 code can show up when towing heavy on wot if fuel flow is somewhat restricted or a lift pump that might be getting worn.

• Owner

Monitor & Set Conditions

Fuel injection pump operation is monitored with ignition on. DTC will set when engine speed is greater than 300 RPM, fuel command 5 mm3/str and timing command within a certain window.

So if the fuel pressure is low enough and the command for timing change is given and the timing doesn't change POP! P0216 code is there. Typically because the fuel pressure dropped to low and there wasn't enough pressure to push the timing cam.

• Staff

So if the fuel pressure is low enough and the command for timing change is given and the timing doesn't change POP! P0216 code is there. Typically because the fuel pressure dropped to low and there wasn't enough pressure to push the timing cam.

I'm thinking that's what it is. Thanks for explaining a lot better. I tried clearing the code. It came right back. I'm not sure if just disconnecting batteries is all there is to it. Mike, if I had two dead batteries inside the camper, my frig ran them way down, could that create the po216 code since they are putting a huge demand on the trucks charging system causing the L/P to run weaker?? :think:

Dripley, I think you mentioned that you have your lift pump hooked directly to the alternator. Does that mean you have it wired direct without an activation relay?

I am using the oe harnes for the lift pump to provide activation and the power for the pump is coming from the alternator.
  • Like 1

• Staff

I am using the oe harnes for the lift pump to provide activation and the power for the pump is coming from the alternator.

I wonder if I could eliminate the need for the activation relay ( potential future problem) by going directly off the alternator? Would this cause hard start issues?

I don't believe you can get rid of the activation relay because at start up, it gets 50% power so you don't kill the pump. The activation relay is hooked in with the the ECM, I believe. Unless you put a switch on the pump and turned it OFF at start off. The wise ones will correct me if I am wrong!

• Owner

I'm thinking that's what it is. Thanks for explaining a lot better.

I tried clearing the code. It came right back. I'm not sure if just disconnecting batteries is all there is to it.

Mike, if I had two dead batteries inside the camper, my frig ran them way down, could that create the po216 code since they are putting a huge demand on the trucks charging system causing the L/P to run weaker?? :think:

That will do absolutely nothing but wipe out the APPS calibration. It will not reset codes, reboot computers, or fixed problems.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn7J8FQ8x5w

• Like 1