• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

First Wood In Months

dorkweed

Very cool!! Looks like quite a nice stand there yet!! Is the majority of the wood you burn "soft wood"??? That's a serious question guys!!!!:duh::cool:How'd the beavers perform????:pant:Another serious question guys.............at least based on Mikes pix!!!!:smart:

• Owner

Chris (my buddy) pick up mine be mistake and said WOW! That thing sure cuts nice. My saw is most likely about 18 years old now and never had the spark plug changed and never had the air filter changed (just cleaned and re-oiled). Sthl 046 Magnum... Sitting by this monster Red Fir Tree.I've cut some seriously big trees...post-2-138698190618_thumb.jpgYes all I burn is soft wood here. There is lots of it. (Pine, Red Fir, White Fir, Tamarack, Spruce, Lodge Pole, etc.)If everything comes together this weekend I'll take my video camera up and get some video of the crew and the beavers at work. :cool:

Chris (my buddy) pick up mine be mistake and said WOW! That thing sure cuts nice. My saw is most likely about 18 years old now and never had the spark plug changed and never had the air filter changed (just cleaned and re-oiled). Sthl 046 Magnum... Sitting by this monster Red Fir Tree. I've cut some seriously big trees... [ATTACH=CONFIG]4306[/ATTACH] Yes all I burn is soft wood here. There is lots of it. (Pine, Red Fir, White Fir, Tamarack, Spruce, Lodge Pole, etc.) If everything comes together this weekend I'll take my video camera up and get some video of the crew and the beavers at work. :cool:

Looking forward to it!!!!:cool::smart:

• 2 weeks later...

Chris (my buddy) pick up mine be mistake and said WOW! That thing sure cuts nice. My saw is most likely about 18 years old now and never had the spark plug changed and never had the air filter changed (just cleaned and re-oiled). Sthl 046 Magnum... Sitting by this monster Red Fir Tree. I've cut some seriously big trees... Yes all I burn is soft wood here. There is lots of it. (Pine, Red Fir, White Fir, Tamarack, Spruce, Lodge Pole, etc.) If everything comes together this weekend I'll take my video camera up and get some video of the crew and the beavers at work.

Was looking at your stump......(loggers do that)....and wondering.....'that's a very unique under-cut' We cut big wood on the coast.........Husqvarna:lol:

• Owner

Hasn't happened yet... The weather is way too hot and dry and too much of a safety and fire issue right now. As I type this post the valley is filling up with orange skies of fire smoke. :duh:Actually that strange under cut is done by a greenhorn that has never fell a tree that large. He was scared to death do it. But after is was all said and done I show him what he did wrong. Nothing a pair of wedges and a small sledge hammer won't fix... :lol:

Hasn't happened yet... The weather is way too hot and dry and too much of a safety and fire issue right now. As I type this post the valley is filling up with orange skies of fire smoke. :duh: Actually that strange under cut is done by a greenhorn that has never fell a tree that large. He was scared to death do it. But after is was all said and done I show him what he did wrong. Nothing a pair of wedges and a small sledge hammer won't fix... :lol:

If a BFH doesn't fix it; it'll sure make you feel better beating on it!!!!:lmao::lmao2: I know what you mean though................my Buds say I'm "anal" about dropping trees. Maybe I am, but I wanna put it where I wanna put it. Not for my sake..........well maybe a little..........but for safety sake first and then for ease of wood removal second!! Scrounged about 1/2 cord of cherry from a neighbor only 2 doors down yesterday!!:cool: Free and close is good!!:thumbup2:

A month ago, I had to punch some 90-110ft fir that were all loaded the wrong way.....there were five stems.These stems were 7ft + ....... three of them were loaded 180 degrees, and two were at 90 degrees. Falling stuff like that is fairly straightforward, but a little dicey......Was using one of my son's hotrod 2100 Husqvarna's. These are great saws, although a little outdated. They have great chain speed, and you can get yourself out of a mess with them. The kid uses a 34" bar, with 404 pitch skip-tooth......To punch a stem that is loaded 180 degrees from where you want it.....you put your back cut in first, bury the bar, and just as soon as you are able, start pounding wedges behind you. You want three at least. When your wedged up, pull your saw, and put in your undercut. A clean undercut! Now the fun starts! Slide your saw into the wedged back cut, and start pounding wedges, as you slowly inch deeper into the stem....Look up, and see the top move in the way that you want the stem to drop. Each hit on the wedge, you will see the top move.....you can move a top 6ft or more sometimes.....when the stem is loaded the way you want.......finish the backcut.......you want good hinge wood for this type of falling.

A month ago, I had to punch some 90-110ft fir that were all loaded the wrong way.....there were five stems.

These stems were 7ft + ....... three of them were loaded 180 degrees, and two were at 90 degrees.

Falling stuff like that is fairly straightforward, but a little dicey......

Was using one of my son's hotrod 2100 Husqvarna's. These are great saws, although a little outdated. They have great chain speed, and you can get yourself out of a mess with them. The kid uses a 34" bar, with 404 pitch skip-tooth......

To punch a stem that is loaded 180 degrees from where you want it.....you put your back cut in first, bury the bar, and just as soon as you are able, start pounding wedges behind you. You want three at least. When your wedged up, pull your saw, and put in your undercut. A clean undercut!

Now the fun starts! Slide your saw into the wedged back cut, and start pounding wedges, as you slowly inch deeper into the stem....Look up, and see the top move in the way that you want the stem to drop. Each hit on the wedge, you will see the top move.....you can move a top 6ft or more sometimes.....when the stem is loaded the way you want.......finish the backcut.......you want good hinge wood for this type of falling.

Posted Image