• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So I have searched here after reading an article on CF about fluid to use in the NV5600. Some say Pennzoil, Amsoil, OEM..etc. First off, is the Syncromesh transission fliud made for the GM brand the same stuff reccomended for this tranny? From what I can read I think it is, just makes a fella question it when GM sells for less then half of what Dodge dealers want. I have also read the theory of adding the limited slip (1 bottle) to the tranny when doing an oil change to it. Has anyone in here been doing it to theirs? I think i'm going to do a fluid change on mine and not sure what to put in it. I can't get the Pennzoil or Amsoil here in Canada where I live so it's gonig to be dealership oil or maybe the GM fluid if it is in fact the same and the limited slip oil if it's a good idea :shrug:

i would call a dealer..seems like the head diesel tech told they are like the 47re trannys atf+4 only...5600 are pickey like that to on there fluid..not sure what it is tho....here is an number for you here in k.s. where i live..hope this will help you out..800 526 1814

The places that sell Pennzoil and Royal Purple in my area, one which is Walmart for pennzoil, the other is Canadian Tire for Royal Purple, do not stock and cannot order any type of transmission oils, only motor oils :banghead: So basically it looks like i'm either going to the Dodge dealer, or GM if the GM meets the same specs as the OEM stuff. Thats why I asked here because GM's doesn't give a listing of compatibilty on their bottle, but the interent "kind of" leads me to beleive it's one of the same. And of course wondering who's running the LS additve here :whistle:

I am using the Penzoil synchromesh from Auto zone. I too have read where few folks are using the LS in their 5600's, but thats about all I know about it. I cant seem to get any info other than the few threads I have seen.

• Like 1

on my 97 I changed it with fluid I got from Blumenthals which supposedly is the castrol stuff they buy in bulk and re-sell. I want to change it in my 01 that has 140k and wondering if I should add some LS at the same time. I plan on a set of those fast PTO coolers too when I do it, figure can't hurt and makes an easy port for a temp sender.

I dont know what to tell you about the LS. It appears some folks are using and I too have been considering. I have no shifting issues with mine right now. Every once in a while I will shift into a differant gear to go into reverse but it does not grind. I might add some before I change the fluid just to see if it make any diferance, not sure.

Well i am newbie but when I got my truck it shifted horrible. It would about break my arm getting it into reverse. I put the Mopar fluid in from the dealer and it shifts 1,000 times better. It still gives a little grind going into 6th gear but I guess i have a bad syncro.

The Amsoil MTF that I use is actually about SAE 30 oil in viscosity. I cannot imagine guys using 75W90 weight gear oil in a NV5600 tranny.Even with the synthetic Amsoil MTF, when it's -10* out, and Mighty Whiteys been sitting outside for a few hour or over night, my NV5600 is REALLY STIFF!!!!!!! I can't imagine what it'd be like with "thicker" gear lube!!!!:2cents::stuned:When I had my '99...........I spent a weekend ice fishing in "da Nort land"............northern Wisconsin.................got down to almost -30 on 2 of the 4 nights. Mean Green, my '99, wasn't started for 3 days. On about day 3.5........we needed beer...........I volutneeered for the run...................just to get Mean Green running for 30 minutes or so. Twas ugly for about 10 minutes, as I didn't have her plugged in!!!!! She still started though............first crank, after 2 cycles of the grid heater.:cool::thumb1: I still think there haven't been mosquitos there since that cold start of Mean Green in Jan.!!!!! White smoke out the wazoo!!!!:lmao:But; long story short, Mean Green with the NV4500 was a beeatch to shift with that 75W90 weight gear oil in her.............................the NV5600 with essentially SAE30 is a beeatch at 30*...................I cannot imagine pouring thicker lube in there!!!:smart:

• Like 1

Can't understand putting LS in the NV5600,thats for clutch type disks in a diff. GM did use the NV5600 in thier trucks also,so yes that is the same fluid,I would add 1 extra quart over the recommened just to help with lubricating the rear bearings,also I would change every 60-75k.:2cents: