• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

'06 and later water pump change the easy way.

hd99fxr3

Gotcha. I am thinking about doing my water pump at 100K, just for preventative measures.

I had to replace the water pump on my other brand of truck and it was expensive, about how much do ours (06) run?

My '04.5 is almost 8.5 years old now. I've never done a complete drain/flush of the cooling system. What I have done is to drain out as much as will come out............usually 4 gallons..........and replenish the system with 2 gallons of Zerex in the gold bottle and 2 gallons of distilled water.I do this every 2 years............and I use a "brand new" bucket to catch the old stuff in to see if'n there's anything in the coolant I need to see. So far, so good on Mighty Whitey!!!:thumb1:

My '04.5 is almost 8.5 years old now. I've never done a complete drain/flush of the cooling system. What I have done is to drain out as much as will come out............usually 4 gallons..........and replenish the system with 2 gallons of Zerex in the gold bottle and 2 gallons of distilled water. I do this every 2 years............and I use a "brand new" bucket to catch the old stuff in to see if'n there's anything in the coolant I need to see. So far, so good on Mighty Whitey!!!:thumb1:

That's good to know. My problem was I bought a second hand vehical. So I just have to roll with the punches till it's all straightened out.

• 1 year later...

Time to install a new water pump today. Started leaking a little out the weep hole. I had purchased a 180* thermostat to replace the one in the truck (plus belt, hoses, tensioner) to do the 100k PM stuff. Will the 180* thermostat create any problems with the computer looking for 200* which is where it has always run long as I have had the truck. I just thought about this after I bought the new thermostat of course. I have never heard of the computer throwing any codes due to a cooler running thermostat but had to ask.BTW getting my new custom made aluminum driveshafts this Friday! 5" with oversize Spicer u-joints in the rear and 3" for the front. Slowly getting this truck bulletproof as possible.

• Staff

Time to install a new water pump today. Started leaking a little out the weep hole. I had purchased a 180* thermostat to replace the one in the truck (plus belt, hoses, tensioner) to do the 100k PM stuff. Will the 180* thermostat create any problems with the computer looking for 200* which is where it has always run long as I have had the truck. I just thought about this after I bought the new thermostat of course. I have never heard of the computer throwing any codes due to a cooler running thermostat but had to ask. BTW getting my new custom made aluminum driveshafts this Friday! 5" with oversize Spicer u-joints in the rear and 3" for the front. Slowly getting this truck bulletproof as possible.

If you tow then it will mess with your fan settings. The max allowed temp, per Cummins, on a 180° is 212° which is below the 100% fan setting. 180° will also yield lower mileage. I have yet to figure out why people want a cooler thermostat.

What is the correct temp rating for the thermostat? Guessing it is 200* since that is where my truck has always run. Force of habit I guess because I have always put in 180* thermostats in every vehicle I ever owned and that was the correct temp. I need to pick up the correct stat so I can finish the job knowing it is done right. Thanks!

• Staff

Since this is a CR thread, and your sig isn't filled out, I will assume a 3rd gen. 190° is the OEM temp. I have considered a 200° for winter use, hotter air and slightly better economy, and I will not increase fan operation since I don't tow in the winter.

I picked up a 190* thermostat at the parts place will put that (correct) one in. The water pump replacement wasn't bad at all. Removing the airbox is the key as that allows easiest access. I didn't have any problem at all breaking the bolts loose even with my short 1/4" drive ratchet. The serpentine drive belt replacement now that was another story. What a total pain.

Thanks for the excellent write up. Hopefully I don't have to do this for some time (as I've replaced the water pump in just the last couple of years), but if I do, it should beat pulling the radiator out of the truck, along with the intercooler and transmission cooler. Sometimes I just can't help but do things the hard way... LOL!

I picked up a 190* thermostat at the parts place will put that (correct) one in. The water pump replacement wasn't bad at all. Removing the airbox is the key as that allows easiest access. I didn't have any problem at all breaking the bolts loose even with my short 1/4" drive ratchet. The serpentine drive belt replacement now that was another story. What a total pain.

Drove from Houston to San Antonio and truck ran flawlessly. Temp held around 200* as normal. I got the new driveshafts installed and it is amazing how smooth the truck runs now. Huge Spicer u-joints! That 5" aluminum driveshaft is a work of art. I tried adding to signature and it's not letting me do it so remain signature-less.