• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fired up my pile yesterday after it sat for a week or so, and it's hazing at idle pretty badly. Grey smoke, smells like [thick, but] healthy exhaust. I have straight exhaust with just an expansion chamber and I can see a pronounced 'puff' of thicker smoke that makes me think it's one cyl in particular.

Searching for hazing or haze didn't turn much up so I figured I'd post for thoughts before I pull the trigger on a set of RV275s from DAP (24v head, P7100 pump). I'm heading out for a weekend of offroading tonight (towing heavy of course, probably 23-24k through PA mountains for 250+mi each way). I don't really want to try to check/set timing before I go, but it's possible that it has slipped since I did the cam swap 6-7 months ago. From what I read the popoff pressure difference 12v to 24v retards timing about 3˚, and I think I set mine to be effectively around 14-15˚ (17-18 by the table). Just put a fresh mechanical lift pump on it roadside a month ago after a sudden failure had me doing 30mph up hills on the DC beltway, and fuel pressure is good.

I let it run for close to an hour, it never cleared up. Revs smooth, whether slowly or quickly - doesn't break up.

This motor has seen a ton of abuse from me with the ongoing fuel line failures, it's probably done a couple thousand miles in 5 cylinder mode. Who knows what sort of issues that could cause in the long run. Also has a pretty unknown history besides having come from a bus, and having been under my hood for the past 40k or so. I've never done an oil analysis or anything. What I don't know won't scare me :)

- - - Updated - - -

details:

stock ISB205 injectors (175-225k mi)

stock B5.9 215 pump and DVs (311k mi)

"Big Stick" cam Details (18k mi)

I think this motor has some pretty healthy blow-by, it'll push some oil out the dipstick tube. Drinks probably a quart per 1000 miles when being worked.

- - - Updated - - -

sounds like identical symptoms that were confirmed by replacement here:

http://www.dieselbombers.com/diesel-distress-support-ticket/100352-excessive-smokes-exhaust-popping-2.html

I've had an exhaust "pop" when I'm to the floor under load for a little while, I was afraid I was barking the turbo and just stayed away from doing it.

I can hardly wait to pull all my fuel lines. again. :banghead:

I let it idle in the driveway for about an hour, it never cleared up. Hazed on the next startup when I left on my trip, too.Truck sat Thursday midnight until about 2pm Sunday. No haze at all when I restarted it. :shrug:Visited a friend about half an hour away on my way back, and had ANOTHER injection line crack :banghead:, so started my visit there bending up a replacement. Didn't note if it was hazing when I left there. Drove 2.5 hours, got tired and slept with the truck idling, drove just under 2 hours home. When I was parking my trailer I could see the cloud and while it sat cooling down (EGT was 400-450 at the time, when usually in that post-parking situation it's 325-375) it was hazing heavily again.RV275s were in my mailbox when I got home this morning. Not bad for a Thursday afternoon order - Saturday delivery! wow. Go go DAP! :thumb1:I'm waiting to hear back from my injection line vendor to see what they're going to be able to do for me. It may be time to go a different route. I kick myself daily for not just putting my 12v head on this block when I swapped motors. :banghead::banghead::banghead: The #3 that I bent up didn't match well enough to fully clamp, so I at least have that one; I'm hoping I'll be able to swap on a full set of stock diameter fuel lines instead of the .093s I've been going through. Figuring/ hoping that a thicker wall line may not have this issue. Wish I'd insisted on that the 3 months ago when I was sent a second full set, having now replaced 2 lines already in around 10,000 miles.Bottom line is that I'll put off swapping the injectors until I have fuel lines to deal with anyway, and I'll check/set timing and valve lash then too as long as I'm in there.

Hazing has come and gone and come again a few times.Have a new set of stock diameter lines on the way :thumb1: I'll get to tearing things down and swapping the injectors. Also going to make sure the crossover tubes are clean. Vendor said they have an "edge filter" in the tube that can clog and cause issues. Nobody else is blowing lines up like I am, I guess. Good for them, bad for me and my vendor. Very glad they're still working with me on this.this week I'll- swap injectors- inspect/ clean crossover tubes- check/ set valve lash (.009/.019 target)- check/ set timing (14-14.5˚ target, so will aim for 17.25˚ actual)- install new stock dia lines and return broken/burst crap :)

Got old lines off last night, new ones showed up today. Think I'll get out the bug spray and keep wrenching till its done tonight. I'm most interested to see if the timing slipped. I really think it has, and it really should not have since I had everything torn apart when I set it and was able to get everything perfectly clean.

80% done. Just test fired it. Injectors installed, timing checked (at 13.7* or so - a bit mild but I think that's where I set it; not far enough from where I want it to bother), valve lash set. Just need to clamp lines and put the intake back on. [ATTACH]4430[/ATTACH]Started easier than expected. Cranked 2-3 times with 1-3 cracked, that's when it started to catch. Tightened them and I fired right up.

post-10730-138698191928_thumb.jpg

Thing is running awesome. Still not a 20mpg truck but at least it's fast again :) 16.2 in 230 miles of mixed driving. Up maybe 1mpg from expected. I was doing some reading on 24v p7100 timing, particularly on CompD, and one thing mentioned that struck me was reported timing retardation from oversize lines. Some of those guys are running over 20* on DD trucks and still starting okay. Going from .093 lines to .078 lines feels like I picked up some timing. Granted I went from likely tired 205hp injectors to matched rv275s, so it's an apples-to-pears comparison, but even so it feels improved. Hopefully these lines last more than 10-13,000 miles!Can't wait to see how it tows. Hopefully at least a smudge cooler.

Just one more worthy data point - it seems to start a TON better now too. I'm still limping it with one battery, and it's been not really enough to fire it up past sitting a full day. I'm still not going to trust it to sit at the airport this weekend - but it fired right up from Sunday night 'till now, 40-44 hours...

• 2 weeks later...