• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So i am in need of some advice on my transmission. It grinds going into 6th gear. I can live with it for now because if I allow the rpms to drop to around 1,000 when i shift it will shift smooth. But I am not the type to leave something like that lingering over my head. I have changed the fluid which helped the tranny a lot. I couldn't even get it in reverse before i changed the fluid. I put the mopar fluid in.I guess I have a bad syncro from what I have read. Does that require a complete rebuild? Should I have it rebuilt when I have someone tear into it? Does anyone know a transmision guy in the Northern Kentucky area? Just trying to get my ducks in a row so I can start saving:spend:.....i know this will cost me a few pennies.Thanks,Jason

You should be able to buy a rebuild kit with synchros or just synchros for it. I have messed with a few T-18's back in my jeepin days and they arent hard to pull apart and replace things inside. Maybe because I was giving $50 and $20 per tranny that I didnt care to dig into them. It might be hard to find parts for the thing though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been able to rebuild any of the dodge manuals, but I have done a few ford manuals. If it were me, I would just have it all rebuilt. If one syncro is gone, the others cant be far behind. There are other wear parts in a manual too that should be checked. If you are going to be in there, might as well take care of everything that way you dont have to worry about it later. This is just my two cents though :)

The 5600 is not an easy transmission to rebuild. The entire gear cluster is assembled outside the case and then dropped in. This requires dealing with holding fixtures and weight while you maneuver the gear cluster. The most important aspect of rebuilding the 5600 is having the use of a 50 ton hydraulic press, a 20 ton won't come close.Issue 64-May/June/July/ 2009 of the TDR magazine has a excellent wrie up about rebuilding the NV5600With regards to shift quality and such, are you running 6 quarts instead of the recommended fill? The overfill of lubricant takes care of an under oiling problem with the rear bearing and 6th gear cluster.My 02 is presently sitting at 255,000 miles, most of them towing, and the 5600 is flawless in shifting. Regular oil changes, myself using Amsoil MTF have resulted in no appreciable wear in the last 10 years.Temperature monitoring also plays a big part in the 5600's life. Running in 6th gear loaded or empty is actually hotter than running in 5th. I have had temps as high as 240 degrees towing in 6th on flat ground, but down shifting to 5th even for a short time will drop the temps 20 - 30 degrees.Hope it helpsJeff

• Like 1

Temperature monitoring also plays a big part in the 5600's life. Running in 6th gear loaded or empty is actually hotter than running in 5th. I have had temps as high as 240 degrees towing in 6th on flat ground, but down shifting to 5th even for a short time will drop the temps 20 - 30 degrees. Hope it helps Jeff

Im just curious, how did you measure the temp of your tranny? Did you just have a temp gauge hooked in to it?

The 5600 is not an easy transmission to rebuild. The entire gear cluster is assembled outside the case and then dropped in. This requires dealing with holding fixtures and weight while you maneuver the gear cluster. The most important aspect of rebuilding the 5600 is having the use of a 50 ton hydraulic press, a 20 ton won't come close. Issue 64-May/June/July/ 2009 of the TDR magazine has a excellent wrie up about rebuilding the NV5600 With regards to shift quality and such, are you running 6 quarts instead of the recommended fill? The overfill of lubricant takes care of an under oiling problem with the rear bearing and 6th gear cluster. My 02 is presently sitting at 255,000 miles, most of them towing, and the 5600 is flawless in shifting. Regular oil changes, myself using Amsoil MTF have resulted in no appreciable wear in the last 10 years. Temperature monitoring also plays a big part in the 5600's life. Running in 6th gear loaded or empty is actually hotter than running in 5th. I have had temps as high as 240 degrees towing in 6th on flat ground, but down shifting to 5th even for a short time will drop the temps 20 - 30 degrees. Hope it helps Jeff

Thanks for the advice. I am running an extra quart. I changed the fluid a couple months ago when I got the truck. It helped tremendously when I changed the fluid. I dont know what was in there but it was old and almost smelled like gear oil:shrug:. It shifts much better after that. I put mopar fluid back in with the extra through the shifter. I have thought about changing the fluid again jus to see if it might help a little more. Thought maybe it might kinda "rinse" any bad fluid that might be left in there. I will not be tackling the rebuild myself. Although I would love to do but i am chicken. I am hoping someone will recommend someone around were I live. I will live with it until I find someone I trust. Thanks for everyone's reply's. Jason

So i am in need of some advice on my transmission. It grinds going into 6th gear. I can live with it for now because if I allow the rpms to drop to around 1,000 when i shift it will shift smooth. But I am not the type to leave something like that lingering over my head. I have changed the fluid which helped the tranny a lot. I couldn't even get it in reverse before i changed the fluid. I put the mopar fluid in. I guess I have a bad syncro from what I have read. Does that require a complete rebuild? Should I have it rebuilt when I have someone tear into it? Does anyone know a transmision guy in the Northern Kentucky area? Just trying to get my ducks in a row so I can start saving:spend:.....i know this will cost me a few pennies. Thanks, Jason

I just spent about a half hour trying to craft a reply. The software on this website is still locking up windows. When windows attempts to recover the page, ALL of the information is lost. Maybe I will come back later and reply. Don't have the time now.

I just spent about a half hour trying to craft a reply. The software on this website is still locking up windows. When windows attempts to recover the page, ALL of the information is lost. Maybe I will come back later and reply. Don't have the time now.

That's weird.. I'm (currently) on my (work) Windows 7 laptop and haven't experienced any issues this evening..

Im just curious, how did you measure the temp of your tranny? Did you just have a temp gauge hooked in to it?

I just welded a standard bung into the middle of the drivers side PTO plate and run an electric ISSPRO trans temp guage.

Depending on the temperature in your area at the time, the guage usually doesn't move, it starts at 140 degrees. In the warmer months, it can climb pretty fast depending on what your doing, running empty or loaded.

You learn to drive by the temp guage when your towing heavy. When the temps get up there, just down shifting to 5th drops the temps pretty quick.

I will admit to being a bit of an information junkie with the amount of gages in my truck but I look at it as cheap insurance for warnings instead of the unexpected big bang when son=mething does go poof.

Jeff

- - - Updated - - -

Something I forgot to mention.

I don't know if anyone does this when they drain their 5600 for an oil change.

I personally pull both PTO plates off, takes a few extra minutes but I feel it's worth it. When the trans is draining, I jack the rear of the truck up as high as I can get it, going so far to use a block or two of wood on the floor jack to get it a bit higher.

It is surprising how much extra fluid will come out! Plus with both PTO plates off, you can see inside a little more and get an idea if something is starting to go wrong.

Sorry for blabbing on :ashamed:

Jeff

• Like 1

I totally agree that you can never have too many gauges:thumbup2:. That is a pretty genius place to put that gauge to, i must say lol. Up until now, this is the first time I have ever heard of someone putting a gauge on a manual transmission, apart from the big rigs. Never thought you would have to worry about it getting hot. Thanks for the tip!