• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Got it pulled yesterday and hopefully will get it put in thursday. First thing you will notice is we put safety first.:lmao: Got it up on blocks and jackstands and looking at it made me feel weary but after getting under it I felt good. Got a the sawzall out and cut the floor for easy access and then had to cut the crossmember out because it had been welded. After all that we pulled the bolts out of the bellhousing and then the clutch and flywheel. Two bolts in holding the clutch on gave us a problem but we finally got them out. Clutch and flywheel looked almost new and the trans had writing on it like it had been rebuilt so hopefully all is good.

post-10176-13869819171_thumb.jpg

post-10176-138698191719_thumb.jpg

post-10176-138698191728_thumb.jpg

post-10176-138698191736_thumb.jpg

post-10176-138698191747_thumb.jpg

post-10176-138698191754_thumb.jpg

post-10176-138698191762_thumb.jpg

post-10176-13869819177_thumb.jpg

post-10176-138698191778_thumb.jpg

post-10176-138698191786_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It is a good swap, I did it to my 99 and would not want to go back. It took me a few days to do the swap, but it is not bad. The hole for the clutch master cylinder is already cut in the firewall and the pedals go in way easy. Good luck with the swap and I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

Got most of this thing done lastnight. The shop I used was on Macdill AFB and they are only open thursday-saturday and I worked fri-sat so I paid on of the guys at the shop to stay late lastnight, they closed at 7 and we stayed til midnight. Me and a buddy went and picked it up with his trailer tonight and I should have it done tomorrow or monday. I still need to put in clutch hydro's, pedals, cut hole and do driveshafts. I forgot about taking pics lastnight becasuse it was late but I can remember most things if anyone has any questions. I have a question though, there is a cable that I guess goes from the apps to the trans, what do I do with that now?

Got most of this thing done lastnight. The shop I used was on Macdill AFB and they are only open thursday-saturday and I worked fri-sat so I paid on of the guys at the shop to stay late lastnight, they closed at 7 and we stayed til midnight. Me and a buddy went and picked it up with his trailer tonight and I should have it done tomorrow or monday. I still need to put in clutch hydro's, pedals, cut hole and do driveshafts. I forgot about taking pics lastnight becasuse it was late but I can remember most things if anyone has any questions. I have a question though, there is a cable that I guess goes from the apps to the trans, what do I do with that now?

TV cable is worthless. You can remove it at the APPS.
  • Like 1

Had this thing going for a day now with some reports. Its a bear to get into 2nd in traffic, no grinds just really hard. It does grind 90% of the time going to reverse. Is there any adjustment to the slave cylinder rod or anything? Its also jerky starting off in 2nd and I nearly killed it more than once in traffic. My 03 6speed and my grandpas 01 6speed would pull themselves without bogging down from a stop. Should i swap the pcm from the donor truck or is there a flash I can get done at the dealer? Called the dealer and they have never heard of a flash for it.

Had this thing going for a day now with some reports. Its a bear to get into 2nd in traffic, no grinds just really hard. It does grind 90% of the time going to reverse. Is there any adjustment to the slave cylinder rod or anything? Its also jerky starting off in 2nd and I nearly killed it more than once in traffic. My 03 6speed and my grandpas 01 6speed would pull themselves without bogging down from a stop. Should i swap the pcm from the donor truck or is there a flash I can get done at the dealer? Called the dealer and they have never heard of a flash for it.

grinding, sounds like the reverse syncro is worn. try this: before putting in reverse, pop it in 5th real quick, then into reverse.. this 'should' keep it from grinding into reverse. As for jerky 2nd starts, it could be just needing the clutch to seat.. My 01 6-speed did it, too, so I just started in 1st just to barely get the truck rolling, then dip to 2nd.. you could swap PCMs but I'm sure there's more that'll need swapped than just PCMs.. (i.e. harness portions)

I may go get the other pcm tomorrow. I talked to a buddy and he said to have the dealer flash my truck with that of a vin from a 98 5speed truck. he said that worked on one of his camaro's he swapped trans in. I have been grabbing 2nd and then 3rd before R and it does good. I noticed when the trans is cold it does good but when I get into traffic its hard to shift to 2nd unless I shift it while its rolling and just set and hold the clutch.

Lightnin,my 5 is a reverse grinder too. I am able to go in second then to R, but that won't help you, as 2nd is balking you.Have you tried a double clutch with a blip of the throttle while the clutch is released in neutral? this should change the speed of the counter shaft. might be worth a try. (course it may go the wrong way, from a balk to a grind)I hope the programming will fix your jerking problem. My clutch is really an on/off hard to slip. I can let it out and the ECM (or PCM) idle control keeps it rolling. in the neighborhood I can easily get to 4th never applying fuel, just idle. (its awesome on my steep driveway. like autodrive!) Hag

Here are the rest of the pics. Wish I could have gotten more but was in a hurry to beat the hurricane that never hit. Instead of fighting the skid plate I just gave it a little pinch in the press, have done this to another truck I put a clutch in and it worked like a charm. These are all horrible pictures because my phone is outdated but you get the jist of it. I snapped a pic right after we got the trans stabbed and bolted up and then left it on ase for the night. Got it loaded on a buddies trailer and brought it home where I cut the hole in the floor and put in pedals and driveshafts. My jigsaw blade hit the trans when I tried cutting so I used a dremmel and some tin snips. The hole turned out great but I forgot to get a pic. I measured the underside of the lower boot so it fit perfect, there is no more wind or engine noise than before with the auto trans. Got my cupholder painted and fit in like I wanted it then got the floor back together. Took the seats out and it made everything so much easier. Got the pedals put in after a little fight and had to tape some pennies into the brake light switch to keep the lights from coming on. The pennies didnt like their new home so I took the brake light switch off and gave the mount a little bend so it works perfect now. I also pulle the switch from the donor truck out asd it looks to be a little longer so I might eventually put it in. I got the black cover that goes in place of the PRND21 and put it and the column cover in place so it looks factory. I still need to get some color match paint for the console and map pocket but the black doesnt look to bad. If you dont like your auto and can get a donor truck like I did, I highly recommend this. I feel like I have a new truck and have been burning diesel just to burn it.:woot:

post-10176-1386981920_thumb.jpg

post-10176-138698192009_thumb.jpg

post-10176-138698192018_thumb.jpg

post-10176-138698192026_thumb.jpg

post-10176-138698192034_thumb.jpg

post-10176-138698192043_thumb.jpg