• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Synthetic oil

• Owner

Yes you can run synthetics but you'll fine there is not enough benefits to warrant using synthetics.Like I'm a weird duck with high MPG's (High mark 25.3 MPG) and low drag with all petroleum products. Then like CajFlynn cleared over 1.2 MILLION miles with a 2001 Dodge 2500 towing every day with Chevron Delo 15w-40 and Fleet gaurd filters change oil every 20K miles.Then there was Dorkweed that put on a hell of a show with SuperTech 15w-40 in his 2004 Dodge 2500 and cleared 84K miles on a single oil change. All tested with Blackstone Labs.So after seeing these 2 people do what the did with standard ol' petroleum products I don't believe synthetics are that much more superior to petroluem products.

Yes you can run synthetics but you'll fine there is not enough benefits to warrant using synthetics. Like I'm a weird duck with high MPG's (High mark 25.3 MPG) and low drag with all petroleum products. Then like CajFlynn cleared over 1.2 MILLION miles with a 2001 Dodge 2500 towing every day with Chevron Delo 15w-40 and Fleet gaurd filters change oil every 20K miles. Then there was Dorkweed that put on a hell of a show with SuperTech 15w-40 in his 2004 Dodge 2500 and cleared 84K miles on a single oil change. All tested with Blackstone Labs. So after seeing these 2 people do what the did with standard ol' petroleum products I don't believe synthetics are that much more superior to petroluem products.

About the only real advantage I see with synthetic oil is in the "cold starting" area..................under 15*F.

Well right now I'm down in the hottest/sunniest place on earth. Not the best place for the Marine Corps to send a pale skinned ginger :lmao:but oh well life is tough. Once I get out though I'm more than likely heading back up to Montana so it might be something I do in the near future. Only 514 days 13 hours 16 minutes and 42 seconds left.................but who's counting. :woot:Now is there a process to go to synthetic or do you just drain the oil and then dump in the synthetic?

Just do a change and a fresh quality filter and that's it. Leave the plug out a while longer to let it drip clean.I seen reports when I was working that showed a full syn had less wear on parts in the long run. But this can very from vehicle to vehicle, owner to owner. It's your preference AND wallet that counts.My Blackstone reports improved, and help me decide to stay full syn after the third test. I have a friend that owns a Volvo and had 1.5 million on his rig and is full syn. He will run nothing but.But with every selection a person can make ... he also believes in running only Shell Rotello in Chevy pickup. His results from testing made his choice. If you want to try it, go ahead and may I suggest three oil changes with results each and then select. My prior truck was a Ford diesel (glad it's gone) and the test helped me stay with dino only. The full syn did very little improvement and not justifiable for the cost.

It is really up to you, there are those who swear by it and others still think it's voodoo :lmao: I once thought it was crazy back in the mid 70's when Amsoil first came out I said no way, now I run it in everything. Even my lawn mower, change it once every two years. Run it in my John Deere 4030 95hp tractor, cut and bale hay use it around the shop and change it once a year with around 400 hours on the meter, oil still clear enough to read dip stick thru the oil. I know some people say clean oil dont mean anything but I like it.

It is really up to you, there are those who swear by it and others still think it's voodoo :lmao: I once thought it was crazy back in the mid 70's when Amsoil first came out I said no way, now I run it in everything. Even my lawn mower, change it once every two years. Run it in my John Deere 4030 95hp tractor, cut and bale hay use it around the shop and change it once a year with around 400 hours on the meter, oil still clear enough to read dip stick thru the oil. I know some people say clean oil dont mean anything but I like it.

Mid 70's? wow man I wasn't a twinkle in my parents eyes at that time :lmao2:ha ha just giving you a hard time. Ya I can see what you mean. When stuff first comes out it always takes a while to sway most people from the way they've always done it. I'm kind of the same way. Oil works and it has for years but I've been entertaining the idea anyway. I'm waiting for about another 5k miles when I do the Crank seal fix and then I'll probably make the switch. It just doesn't seem like a common choice with our trucks unless I'm just behind the curve, maybe because of the price.

Something to consider with synthetics is the expected oil change and related cost. If you figure the cost of an oil change with dino oil as often as is recommended vs. the cost of synthetic every year or 25k miles it costs LESS to use synthetics and it also has a lot less thermal breakdown in hot weather or towing situations. Cold starting is a lot better with synthetics too.I also run synthetics in everything I own.

• Staff

My only experience was a jeep I was looking to buy. The guy used synth ever since new. All I could see was oil leaks all over the place and a very dirty 100,000 mile jeep engine. I'm not knockin' it but when I asked him to start it up it sounded like a million little hammers tapping away. I did not like it and walked away. Next day or so I found a very clean 85 k mile jeep that was like new and sounded like it too. It was a real cream puff on Dino oil, it sounded great. I don't really know anything about it except what I saw. :think:

The reason you saw oil leaks all over the place is that synthetics keep the inside cleaner. The leaks are there no matter what oil, but the dino oil allows some contaminates to build up along gaskets and seals effectively stopping the leak, but the synthetics will clean the contaminates and allow the oil to leak out.

The reason you saw oil leaks all over the place is that synthetics keep the inside cleaner. The leaks are there no matter what oil, but the dino oil allows some contaminates to build up along gaskets and seals effectively stopping the leak, but the synthetics will clean the contaminates and allow the oil to leak out.

I very much agree with this. The first time I tried a companies oil, ARCO Graphite on an older engine with many many miles on her, by the time it was due for another oil change, she had more leaks than the Titanic port side after meeting the iceberg. I did read where many companies recommend or demand All Syn oils from the factory on. Mercedes, Dodge Cummins engines and such. I just haven't decided it's because they are designed for it ? The manufactures believe in it ? Or they get one heck of a deal using it and promoting it for the oil manufactures. And, if you went from Syn to Dino, is the warrantee shot ?

• Staff

MnTom......I respectfully disagree as the synth jeep had many many more leaks than all the others I looked at. The one I bought was very clean. The guy using the synth said he was using Mobile 1, if that means anything.I have a dino oiled 92 CTD w/ over 360k and no driveway drips. I know cause I park over expensive concrete drives every once in awhile and get asked every time.

MnTom......I respectfully disagree as the synth jeep had many many more leaks than all the others I looked at. The one I bought was very clean. The guy using the synth said he was using Mobile 1, if that means anything. I have a dino oiled 92 CTD w/ over 360k and no driveway drips. I know cause I park over expensive concrete drives every once in awhile and get asked every time.

I ran synthetics in my 1990 d350 no leaks ran great.Well i bought a 95 2500 started with 125000mi went to syn,oil now at 328000miles no leaks great mileage:woot::woot:.

I haven't decided yet about putting full syn. in my Cummin's yet. But I do run full syn in my, 07 Harley. There is a 40 degree engine oil temp drop, when running Mobil 1 20w-50 vs. Dino 20w-50. I've had three different Harleys and the results were the same in all three bikes. I run it purely for the engine oil temp difference, 40 degrees in oil temp. is huge in an air cooled engine.

I haven't decided yet about putting full syn. in my Cummin's yet. But I do run full syn in my, 07 Harley. There is a 40 degree engine oil temp drop, when running Mobil 1 20w-50 vs. Dino 20w-50. I've had three different Harleys and the results were the same in all three bikes. I run it purely for the engine oil temp difference, 40 degrees in oil temp. is huge in an air cooled engine.

I,LL tell ya that's one fine deer.:thumbup2: