• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New guy with questions.

Hey everyone, I just bought my first CTD. It is a 2001 2500 x-cab, long bed 4x4. Has a 4" BDS suspension lift, and air ride. 145k miles. I am loving it so far. I have bought and installed a BHAF already, but other than that it is all bone stock. This is my first diesel so I will probably be posting lots of questions on here. I will be driving this truck daily and eventually will be towing a 5th wheel camper with it. I would like some input on what fuel system setup, and other mods would be the best for what I intend on using it for. Thanks

Fuel pressure gauge is a must have on all 24 valve cummins with a vp44 injection pump and if it is an automatic a tranny temp gauge should be high on the list if towing a lot. There are numerous aftermarket fuel transfer pump setups to choose from but it will be another priority to do asap. Other than that it is just extras you would "Want" and not neccesarily "Need".:thumbup2:

• Like 1

Hey everyone, I just bought my first CTD. It is a 2001 2500 x-cab, long bed 4x4. Has a 4" BDS suspension lift, and air ride. 145k miles. I am loving it so far. I have bought and installed a BHAF already, but other than that it is all bone stock. This is my first diesel so I will probably be posting lots of questions on here. I will be driving this truck daily and eventually will be towing a 5th wheel camper with it. I would like some input on what fuel system setup, and other mods would be the best for what I intend on using it for. Thanks

Depending on the camper you have/get, you may have to either lift the camper or lower the truck back down. I was pulling my friends camper with his truck that isn't lifted and on some of the roads around here the bedsides almost hit the bottom of the camper. If the truck was lifted it would have done some damage to the bed and camper. Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Never had any problems with my fass but when I do I will getting one of these http://www.dieseltrans.com/dodge/ASSASSIN.htm

That is a sweet looking pump! Do you know anyone that is using one?

- - - Updated - - -

Depending on the camper you have/get, you may have to either lift the camper or lower the truck back down. I was pulling my friends camper with his truck that isn't lifted and on some of the roads around here the bedsides almost hit the bottom of the camper. If the truck was lifted it would have done some damage to the bed and camper.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I hadn't thought of that problem. I would definitely have to lift the camper, can't bear the thought of lowering my truck back down,LOL! Thanks for the good advice.

That is a sweet looking pump! Do you know anyone that is using one?

- - - Updated - - -

I hadn't thought of that problem. I would definitely have to lift the camper, can't bear the thought of lowering my truck back down,LOL! Thanks for the good advice.

I know of 2 people personally that are completely satisfied and several other here and cf. http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/6176-DTT-Assassin-Mechanical-Fuel-Pump

One thing to keep in mind here with this setup guys is you need to keep a good working electric fuel transfer pump in the system as a backup for this mechanical belt driven pump.

i have had good luck with fass..i personally use the h.p.f.p. and use the stock fuel filter housing http://www.fassride.com/ and welcome to the site.

I had the same HPFP 150 pump on my 02 for several years. I ran the fleetgaurd 7 micron filter in the stock canister and had no issues. I just cracked 100k on my 05 with no issues using the 7 mic fleetgaurd filter changed every 10k or sooner depending on seasons, I change it in fall and spring regaurdless of mileage depending on when the next service is due. I can see the point of going all out with the additional filter if one doesn't fill up at a stabile regular quality fuel station and doesn't run a quality 7 micron filter in the factory canister or doesn't do regular maintenance.

i have had good luck with fass..i personally use the h.p.f.p. and use the stock fuel filter housing http://www.fassride.com/ and welcome to the site.

I had the same HPFP 150 pump on my 02 for several years. I ran the fleetgaurd 7 micron filter in the stock canister and had no issues. I just cracked 100k on my 05 with no issues using the 7 mic fleetgaurd filter changed every 10k or sooner depending on seasons, I change it in fall and spring regaurdless of mileage depending on when the next service is due. I can see the point of going all out with the additional filter if one doesn't fill up at a stabile regular quality fuel station and doesn't run a quality 7 micron filter in the factory canister or doesn't do regular maintenance.

I also run the 150 hpfp and its been a great pump for 5 or 6 years.

As you've figured out by now... from the responses... the OEM lift pump (fuel pump) is weak & prone to failure. IF the lift pump goes out, it can cause your injector pump to fail which is big bucks. A upgraded lift pump & FP gauge should be early on.Additionally, the 01 (like ours) were built for "Low Sulfer Diesel" which is generally unobtainable. The sulfer acted as a lubricant. The Ultra LSD is hard on those injector pumps. The VP44 injector pumps that this era 24 valve Cummins came with has been a little fragile... maybe it wouldn't have been on the fuel it was designed for... Many of us run a small amount of outboard oil as a fuel additive. It adds lubricating to the fuel & is intended to burn clean. The Spec for late model outboards is TCW3 & you may see it abreviated that way.Welcome.Russ

As you've figured out by now... from the responses... the OEM lift pump (fuel pump) is weak & prone to failure. IF the lift pump goes out, it can cause your injector pump to fail which is big bucks. A upgraded lift pump & FP gauge should be early on.

Additionally, the 01 (like ours) were built for "Low Sulfer Diesel" which is generally unobtainable. The sulfer acted as a lubricant. The Ultra LSD is hard on those injector pumps. The VP44 injector pumps that this era 24 valve Cummins came with has been a little fragile... maybe it wouldn't have been on the fuel it was designed for... Many of us run a small amount of outboard oil as a fuel additive. It adds lubricating to the fuel & is intended to burn clean. The Spec for late model outboards is TCW3 & you may see it abreviated that way.

Welcome.

Russ

I am on a tight budget right now, so a fuel pump upgrade is several months down the road. I splurged on a BHAF a couple of weeks ago and I have also been running the out board oil since the first fillup because of advice from a friend who also happend to be a CTD owner as well. I will do what I can ,when I can, but I really appreciate your advice. Keep it coming.

P.S. My buddy made sure to tell me about the TCW3 just as you did, Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

i have had good luck with fass..i personally use the h.p.f.p. and use the stock fuel filter housing

http://www.fassride.com/

and welcome to the site.

FASS seems to be the pump of choice, I will have to do some more research to see what fits my truck best, but I am leaning towards FASS for now The warranty seems to merit the purchase. Thanks for the warm welcome!