• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New High Idle Video

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Mopar Man, I had the dealer enable my high idle on my 01 dodge cummins. I tried starting it this morning at 25 degrees F and high idle did not kick in. It was my understanding that any temp under 30 degrees would kick in high idle. The truck was not plugged in and sat for a couple days so i know it was below 30. Would the intake heaters running cause this to not kick in????

• Owner

Correct... Like my start was at 22*F outside and the grid heaters kicked it up to 40*F in the manifold so it would never start high idle till it was colder yet... Typically its got to be about 15-20*F to get high idle and 0-5*F to get 3 cylinder high idle. Like tonight its 25*F here in Idaho I know my high idle will not start unless I manually kick the switches...

Like he shows in the video there is a good chance that the grid heaters are keeping your air intake temperature too high to enable the high idle. Build one of Mopar1973Man's foolers and you can enable it when you feel like.**edit - Looks like Mopar1973Man beat me too it lol

• Owner

nice video... can u give some comparison on EGT... what was it @ idle,high idle, and was that high+3 cylinder(or just 3 cylinder)

Sure... Normal Idle Cold ----------------------- 200*F (0% Load) High 6 Cylinder Idle -------------------- 250*F (0% Load) High 6 Cylinder Idle with Exhaust Brake - 400*F (1% Load) High 3 Cylinder Idle -------------------- 450*F (10-15% Load) high 3 cylinder Idle with Exhaust Brake - 850*F (33% Load) Shaocker how loading the engine help create heat...:thumbsup:

• Owner

Some of the basic parts you need...

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=10

IAT Mode switch on the left. ECT fooler and the right.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=9

Completed setup of switches...

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=11

Simple version...

The ECT plug (The lead going back to the ECM) need to wired to the center lugs of the switch.

The ECT sensor (The lead going to the sensor) gets wired to the left lugs.

The ECT fooler resistor get soldered to the right lugs.

The IAT Plug (The lead going back to the ECM) gets wired to the IAT fooler switch center lugs

The IAT sensor (The lead going to the sensor) gets wired to the left lugs.

The right lugs gets a pair of leads going to the IAT mode switch center lugs. (2nd pic left switch)

Edited by Mopar1973Man

So i went out his morning and started my truck. 15 degrees outside and still no high idle. Im no sure if the dealer even enabled the software. Im gonna try putting the resistor in the sensor this weekend to see if it will kick in that way. Your Forced high idle set up looks better and better all the time lol. Need to make sure the software is enabled though.

I've got sort of the same problem as Rapiscrap144. I actually had the Dodge dealer flash the high idle. The truck Idled up like it was supposed to. Then I changed tuner modes with my superchip and it quit working.

So, I changed it back to stock mode and it didn't work.

I called Superchips and they say if the high idle was on the truck it would save it and it would still be on it.

So, I just did the resistor trick in both stock mode and with the superchip installed and neither one works.

Any ideas........