• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Best way to spend a few hundred bucks????

My truck is pretty much stock, I use it for towing my 18 foot landscape trailer 98% of the time, i wanna boost the hp alittle to help it pull up the hills. I don't want to start changing injectors and all that stuff, I just want a quick boost in power and call it a day.

My truck has the small Hy35 turbo on it, I was considering either swapping the bigger Hx35 OR slap a small tuner on there, which one would be a better option?? will i see any real noticible gains from the bigger turbo for towing or would a small tuner be a better option????

• Owner

HX35W turbo would be a nice upgrade but won't change power at all just reduce EGT's a bit.But now a tuner like a Smarty (65 HP), Edge Comp (120 HP), Edge Juice (120 HP), Quadzilla XLT (65 HP), Power Puck (65 HP), Quadzilla Adrenaline (180 HP) will actually change power. But adding any kind of fueling change I highly suggest gauges if you don't already have them.

HX35W turbo would be a nice upgrade but won't change power at all just reduce EGT's a bit. But now a tuner like a Smarty (65 HP), Edge Comp (120 HP), Edge Juice (120 HP), Quadzilla XLT (65 HP), Power Puck (65 HP), Quadzilla Adrenaline (180 HP) will actually change power. But adding any kind of fueling change I highly suggest gauges if you don't already have them.

Yea i have a fuel pressure gauge, I will be doing some sort of fuel system in the near future just to be safe, then will add whatever small tuner works best.

Before you do anything, I'd suggest you get a reliable lift pump on it. I have the Quadzilla XZT+. I run it on the +35hp day to day which is the mpg setting (I am +1 mpg ave). For towing, I'll kick into the +65hp high setting... made a big difference on the hills. It's a straight plug in under the hood, run one harness through the firewall to the box & the micro-switch.

Yea i have a fuel pressure gauge, I will be doing some sort of fuel system in the near future just to be safe, then will add whatever small tuner works best.

Definitely get an EGT gauge when you put the tuner on. I also have the hy turbo and can easily peg my 1500 degree EGT gauge even without towing. It goes north of 1200 pretty often with all the hills around here. I also have a hotrod VP which I'm sure helps get the temps that high(which isn't good). I'm sure I have more than over sped my turbo a few times since I have seen it hit 42 psi. If I would have known what I do now I would have bought a bigger turbo when installing the edge comp. Something you might want to consider. Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I agree, find yourself a used edge ez, edge comp or quadzilla xzt+ and you will be happy ( for a few weeks):spend:. Then the bug will bite you and you will spend every spare cent on the truck. I have heard a power puck is good too but never had one.

Everything ^^^^ here And the puck is awesome for $90 :)