• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Radiator leak. Hot tank and repair or get new Rad.

JAG1

How many of you guys have had success with hot tanking the radiator and resoldered or whatever they do for repairs and stop leaks? Should I just fork out for a new Radiator instead?:spend:

Our trucks radiators have plastic ends. Performance radiator has always sold me new radiators cheaper than a mabe fix for a plastic radiator. I don't know of anyone local that can cheaply resolder a radiator. If it were old school... Then a resolder is a valid fix, but I am not sold on a resolder for ours. If you are in a real pinch, Bar's Leaks works, but it will plug up your heater core and take some life out of the water pump as well. ETA: Also, get a longer hose, or do Mike's remote crankcase vent mod to get the oil away from the radiator. I've never actually seen a 2nd gen Dodge radiator leak (we've had 4, 2 gas 2 diesel, totalling 500,000 mi or so), but I have had them so gummed up inside and out they didn't work anymore.

• Owner

I don't know of any way to repair aluminum radiators. :shrug: My first thought is to maintain the coolant properly so the pH levels never rot the aluminium and steel parts. So I would just replace the radiator because if it thin in one spot it already thin in several other spots too. If the radiator is thin and leaking I would watch the oil cooler and the heater core closely too.

• Staff

I don't know of any way to repair aluminum radiators. :shrug: My first thought is to maintain the coolant properly so the pH levels never rot the aluminium and steel parts. So I would just replace the radiator because if it thin in one spot it already thin in several other spots too. If the radiator is thin and leaking I would watch the oil cooler and the heater core closely too.

This on my first gen truck you guys. I think it's a copper radiator. I should have mentioned this but did post in the 1st gen forum. Does that change anything?

• Owner

This on my first gen truck you guys. I think it's a copper radiator. I should have mentioned this but did post in the 1st gen forum. Does that change anything?

Wasn't sure... :think: But I was looking at the 02 listed in the signature so I was wonder was it a typo or a misplaced thread? Yes a 1st Gen should be a copper/brass radiator so yes you could have it rodded out and soldered up.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

Update on my 1st gen radiator..... The shop did a great job of it and there are no leaks.

The guy at the shop said that this first gen radiator is a very good one and offered to by it at first, but, I told him to go ahead repairing it for the hundred bucks he quoted. A new one was $650 to $750.

If I could only get a first gen rad into my second gen.