• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Seals in the stock turbo

So I think I am burning oil from the turbo... I am going through about a quart every 600-700 miles. I am not leaking anything on the ground except a few drops here and there. I have checked my blowby while the engine is cold right after start-up, and after being on the freeway for a couple hours. Either way, i have hardly any blowby, a puff every now and then. The only other thing I could think of is maybe the seals in the turbo are shot. It is the stock turbo, never been touched and it has 193,xxx miles on it. The head was rebuilt last summer so I dont think it could be in there. Any ideas? thanks everyone!

Hi Will.It could be very possible that your turbo seals are leaking it past. You can check your turbo inlet, easily. Look for any signs of oil or residue. It should be (obviously) clean and dry. The exhaust-side of the turbine is a bit harder to check, as well as hard to determine. Is there ANY shaft play in the turbocharger?I understand your blow-by is minimal, but it could be a ring sealing issue, as well..

ok. I will pull the hoses off tomorrow and take a looksee. I am also running a AFE cleanable filter so im sure that wont help how it looks inside. I have heard these filters dont do a great job, but I could be wrong. Thanks for the tips and I shall definitely get back as soon as I can on what I find:thumb1:

endplay is ok, depending how much and in which direction. If you can grab the impeller with your fingers, and wiggle it side to side a little bit, that's normal (provided it isn't contacting the compressor housing).In/out play is another ball game, however.. bottom line is, it's fairly easy to rebuild these things :)As it is also fairly inexpensive.

The only play i could find was side to side. It doesnt have any play in and out so I am good there. It does not contact the housing anywhere that I can see. I am mechanically inclined and have a fairly nice sized tool collection so I am set to rebuild her I think. Where would you suggest getting a rebuild kit? How much longer do you think I could go before rebuilding it? Thanks again so much for the help!! Turbo's are the one thing I didnt learn to much about in tech school:smart:...

Be careful when comparing rebuild kits from various vendors. Make sure of what is included in each of the rebuild kits so you are comparing apples to apples. One vendor I have used is the G-Pop Shop located at: http://gpopshop.com/holset-turbo-rebuild-kits/. This company (as well as many others) offer upgrades, replacements and hybrids depending on what exactly you are looking for from your truck. When looking at changing out to a different turbo you might want to look for something that will fit up to your existing exhaust or you will have some custom work to do. Custom work is not bad, I am just saying if you are thinking about changing the turbo out just be aware of all the issues that come into play when you change something from the stock setup.

• Like 3

Is there anywhere you would recommend finding a hybrid kit to do this? Is there even such a place?

I saw a hybred turbo somewhere, It was one of the good turbo shops, cant remember, Utah IIRC. They had one that was stock but had a bigger exhaust housing and blade IIRC My turbo has got a slite seepage of oil on the back... -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- '99 quad,long bed,4x4,auto, tow pac,reese 5th ,isspro guages,SMR shift kit, New VP44, JIC fuel line fittings, Red Head Steering/Big D steering brace