• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I need some info on a retrofit lift pump.

I have been told by our shops head diesel guy that I can just install a Raptor 100 where the stock pump used to be and leave the retrofitted intank pump alone as it will simply draw thru it. I have to say that I am leery of this setup,I have a stock 99 3500 with 237,000 on it.He runs a 2000 CTD with 500+ HP so he's no dummy but I just want it right.I was hoping the pump was still in the stock location but it as not to be,aluminum junction block.I bought the truck dirt cheap and have only put 1500 or so miles on it,fuel pressure gauge will be installed in the next 2 weeks.So what to do,the truck will be driven rarely and will be lucky to get another 1500 on it by next spring,I intend to keep it for awhile and would prefer to do it right as it will tow a 31 foot travel trailer in the future at 9000 lbs or so,thanks for your input.:thumbup2:

Get your FP gauge installed. Plan your upgrade before the towing season starts.Do it right. Get rid of the intank pump. Mount your choice of pump back on the frame. lower & closer to the tank. You have a 24 valve which uses the VP44 lift (injection) pump. VP44s were designed for Low Sulfur Diesel NOT the current ULSD... are proving to be a bit fragile. A lot of us run TCW3 2 cycle oil as an additive to improve the fuel lubricosity. 1oz/fuel gallon. This modern outbard oil is designed to burn clean. In my truck it seems to improve mpg slightly... about 1.

Kinda what I thought,I run a little bit of Howes in mine now,don't know how much it helps the ULSD problem. I won't be towing any distance next year,we live in the camper in the summer and I will tow it 8 miles this fall and 25 next spring to the campground. Here is what I will probably go for...http://shop.airdogdieselfuelsystems.com/AirDog-Fuel-Air-Separation-System-100-GPH-A4SPBD353-A4SPBD353.htm?productId=18 Thinking of going with a 3" exhaust next year minus the stock muffler,any ideas on a free flow muffler that will not create much back pressure? I'm deaf as a plank but don't want to scare everyone to death when I go by. $12.15 a gallon for the 2 stroke oil at wally world,sounds like a plan,thanks for that.

RID the stock lift pump! that what i did when i bought mine... it was at about 10 psi with lift pump. now i has run between 18 to 20 psi most of time... i has a receipt that previous owner left it in glovebox that my truck had serviced at Jim Jessup cummins shop in south of indiana. it had replaced the lift pump and VP44 at 168K while right now i has it at 204K...

Praise the Lord that you checked! Right now you still have a running truck. A new lift pump set up & you are good to go. Rather that wait until the crappy OEM lift pump causes the VP44 to FAIL. That said, I am running the TCW3 Outboard oil supplement. The VP44 was designed for LSD (Low Sulfer Diesel) not ULSD we're forced to use now. ULSD has less lubricosity & the small amount of TCW3 oil helps to restore it... and burns clean.

Problem is I have the intank pump and don't have $565 for an airdog right now, add that with the better half hit a deer with her car and I have to cough up a $500 deductible....ouch. I have to drive the truck for a few weeks until the car is fixed.It will be parked all winter,might put another 250 miles on it tops. Only 8 miles to work.Oh well,such is life.

It's a sad day in mudville......fuel pressure gauge hooked up and I have a whopping 7 psi at idle,4psi going down the road and 1.5psi WOT.

I got to say I'm bummin'.........

Problem is I have the intank pump and don't have $565 for an airdog right now add that with the better half hit a deer with her car and I have to cough up a $500 deductable....ouch. I have to drive the truck for a few weeks until the car is fixed.It will be parked all winter,might put another 250 miles on it tops. Only 8 miles to work.

Oh well,such is life.

Ok, here's what I did when I was in your shoes with my 2001.. I installed one of these inline with the weak stock lift pump..

Posted Image

I'm not saying this is an alternative to a legitimate pump, but for $50-60 buck, it'll buy you some time..

• Like 1

It's a Mr. Gasket #12D diesel pump. It doesn't produce much pressure, but it definitely raised my fuel pressure to nominal levels until I could replace the lift pump.I've seen them at Pep Boys, Advance Auto Parts, and Auto Zone, usually on the shelf.It is by no means a replacement lift pump, but it does do a great job in aiding a weak OE-style lift.Now, I use it as a transfer pump for draining fuel tanks if needed.

Got home and replaced the feed line to the injection pump,bleed it at the banjo and nothing.....cracked the #1 injector line and it took off........holy buckets I was worried that the vp44 decided to crap out. Runs good,I think I will put that Mr Gasket pump on for now and then I found that Vulcan makes an intank pump delete.So that and a raptor and I'm in business for $350 or so next spring. Nice....thanks a lot for the info fellas.

• Like 1