• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anyone use an additional in-line fuel filter?

I have the Raptor-100 lift pump and running it to the stock fuel filter on my truck using a big line kit from Vulcan.Had to change out the Raptor a month ago and when doing so found some debris in the big screen in the pump. Not much but I work with airplanes and do not want to see ANYTHING but fuel there. Friend of mine with a F-350 Ford is recommending a "Goldenrod" style filter to me, says that the Ford community uses them on their diesels with the "water-block" filters and has very good success.Anyone else doing this? I would put the filter between the tank and before the Raptor to protect the lift pump and still keep the stock filter in place. Thanks,FT

I found several variations of this water separator type filters... http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_350494_350494 My inclination would be to put a less restrictive basic filter before the lift pump. A separator... and the OEM is a small one... I would put downstream from the lift pump.

Russ,Correct, was thinking of putting something like a 17 micron filter upstream of the pump and downstream of the fuel tank. It's job would be to catch the water and big chunks, then the stock filter on the engine catch the smaller bits.The Goldenrod is nice that its got a clear body and that way you can see any water/debris. Some models also have a drain like an air compressor tank to get the water out...

• Owner

Common rail folks typically are doing the same thing as well. I'm running 3 filter. 100 micron water seperator and pre filter, 3 micron fuel filter on the AirDog 150, then a 10 micron fleetguard fuel filter in the stock can. Absolutely no issue with fuel pressure. The fleetguard fuel filter is well over 50K miles and now just starting to turn dark colored.

• Staff

Common rail folks typically are doing the same thing as well. I'm running 3 filter. 100 micron water seperator and pre filter, 3 micron fuel filter on the AirDog 150, then a 10 micron fleetguard fuel filter in the stock can. Absolutely no issue with fuel pressure. The fleetguard fuel filter is well over 50K miles and now just starting to turn dark colored.

I'm running a 30 micron 60 gallon per hour Racor W/S filter before the AD100. This allowed cutting out of the in tank screens. I heard they can have a clog problem. Mike, What makes the filters turn dark? I often cannot find any visible dirt on the element but they do turn dark.

I'm running an extra inline filter on my other three trucks...98.5 has a fass 150.I think its advantageous to run an extra filter as you get the benefits of a multi pass setup, instead of just one filter doing the job.I like the idea if three...but I feel its overkill.Lately I've discovered Racor...they have a true 2/3 micron with 99% water removal all in one...not cheap, but its one of the few on the market that filters that well and removes just about all the water.In this case I'm confident in two...I made my own setup in the trucks using hardware from a local hardware store and a filter base.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

I have 2 filters. In-line filter by the FASS95 (little bitty one) and then standard fuel filter. Both Baldwin brand. I change the little in-line filter pretty often, there is always lots of small black chunks. :(

Fuel sender float in the tank rotting away? :shrug: Yes. I seen a few report that some fuels and fuel additives can do this. :stuned:

I have 2 filters. In-line filter by the FASS95 (little bitty one) and then standard fuel filter. Both Baldwin brand. I change the little in-line filter pretty often, there is always lots of small black chunks. :(

I have the same set up what pressure do you run at?Do you have the big line kit?Did you increase the size of the drawstraw?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm running an extra inline filter on my other three trucks...98.5 has a fass 150.

I think its advantageous to run an extra filter as you get the benefits of a multi pass setup, instead of just one filter doing the job.

I like the idea if three...but I feel its overkill.

Lately I've discovered Racor...they have a true 2/3 micron with 99% water removal all in one...not cheap, but its one of the few on the market that filters that well and removes just about all the water.

In this case I'm confident in two...

I made my own setup in the trucks using hardware from a local hardware store and a filter base.

What,s the part # of the racor?

• 2 weeks later...

I run a goldenrod filter between the tank and the Raptor. They originally supplied a small inline filter but my paranoia got the better of me and I just wanted something with more capacity. The drain on the goldenrod canister is a bonus.It took some rural engineering to rig up a mount but it's been a couple of years and has been working flawlessly since. I believe the total budget was around 30 bucks. Considering it was almost 10 dollars for one of those crappy tin inline filters, it seems like good value to me.