• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NV4500 Woes ? what is going on ?

I would also change the slave cylinder and master for the clutch. Mine all failed around the same time, first the clutch then master.. You can get a pre bled unit, but costly. If you have some patience buy the 2 parts separate, partially bleed it and then pump the pedal a couple of hundred time(honestly I kid you not) and it will then bleed it self eventually.

Rock Auto sells a slave with a bleeder screw. Not sure wich one it is but I bought one a while back. It made bleeding very easy. I replaced my master 2 years ago and wish 200 pumps was true. I pumped mine for ever just to get it on the road and it took me near 3 weeks of driving to get it completly bled. It still was a fair amount cheaper than buying the pre bled unit.

I got me a new truck it drives so smooth now up shifts and down shifts with ease, exhaust break is next on my list along with the 60 lbs springs I just have to make some money and decide which brand exhaust break I am getting.

OP, are you good on the clutch?? Looks like a bomb went off in there!!:stuned:

Stick with the nv 4500 it is a lot better tranny overall than the nv5600.

W and F, care to explain this statement???? Not arguing, just asking. I've had both..........NV5600 is way better for towing. Less rpm drop between shifts.

OP, are you good on the clutch?? Looks like a bomb went off in there!!:stuned: W and F, care to explain this statement???? Not arguing, just asking. I've had both..........NV5600 is way better for towing. Less rpm drop between shifts.

I drive stick cars all my life first stick truck for me is there anything different I should be doing ? I double clutch since the clutch was changed is that right ? it just gets annoying sometimes I thought a 6 speed would be a much better trans for hauling as well I feel like I am running out of rpm so quick with the 5 speed.

I drive stick cars all my life first stick truck for me is there anything different I should be doing ? I double clutch since the clutch was changed is that right ? it just gets annoying sometimes I thought a 6 speed would be a much better trans for hauling as well I feel like I am running out of rpm so quick with the 5 speed.

Having had both the 4500 and 5600, I like the 5600 better for towing. The 4500 has a huge rpm drop between 3rd and 4th. The 5600 bridges this gap, while maintaining similar 1st, 2nd, and 6th (like the 5th gear), rpm-wise.

• Owner

I would have to side with Wild & Free... NV4500 are a better transmission in the sense of rebuilding compared to the NV5600 transmission which is rather difficult from, what I've learned about them. Even though NV4500 only has 4th and 5th overlapped it still a awesome transmission for towing. I've only use 3rd gear on a local grade which isn't a biggy. But all the other highway grades I can pull 4th gear with no problem.As for that clutch it looks like it failed like mine did but I didn't shear mine off like you did.post-2-138698192911_thumb.jpgpost-2-138698192916_thumb.jpg

The additional gear and better shift points are the only thing better about the 5600, it is more expensive, a lot weaker and a lor more complicated to rebuild.The overall strength of the 4500 is far superior over the 5600. The aftermarket has stepped up for stronger parts for the 4500 as well, the 5600 was not a common tranny and was short lived. GM also ran the 4500 which makes for better availability too.I have changed many clutches like that and is most commonly caused by downshifting at too high of speeds while towing and expecting the clutch hub to absorb the entire shock load of the load being towed. This is also aplicable if running a modded engine and expecting the stock clutch hub to hold up.Aggressive up and down shifts are the main culprit here.Why are you double clutching a synchronized tranny? All you are doing is wearing out the synchros and your clutch faster.

• Owner

most commonly caused by downshifting at too high of speeds while towing and expecting the clutch hub to absorb the entire shock load of the load being towed.

I typically kick the throttle up for a burst to match my RPM's so I'm not dragging the clutch to meet my downshift R's but to be close and drop the clutch in with little effort or shock. Most of mine is from skidding logs in the forest. Can be a bit harsh at times. :rolleyes:

Why would you's guys base the "superiority" of a transmission based specifically on it's "re-buildability"???????:cookoo::banghead::ahhh: I for one, never hope to have to have a tranny rebuilt..............clutch excluded............under present economic circumstances.I don't know anything about rebuilding trannys; but IMHO, the NV5600 is a superior tranny for towing.........especially heavy. It's a more robust tranny, and it doesn't give you the chatter if you lug her down.........like the NV4500 does. Not that I lug my 5600 often!!!!!!:duh: And it doesn't lose rpm's between shifts as much and it has "shorter sideways" throws between gears.

Why would you's guys base the "superiority" of a transmission based specifically on it's "re-buildability"???????:cookoo::banghead::ahhh: I for one, never hope to have to have a tranny rebuilt..............clutch excluded............under present economic circumstances. I don't know anything about rebuilding trannys; but IMHO, the NV5600 is a superior tranny for towing.........especially heavy. It's a more robust tranny, and it doesn't give you the chatter if you lug her down.........like the NV4500 does. Not that I lug my 5600 often!!!!!!:duh: And it doesn't lose rpm's between shifts as much and it has "shorter sideways" throws between gears.

Describe this chatter.. I sometimes leave mine in 3rd and don't touch the pedal and let it idle through town and don't hear any chatter. I lug it up hills in 3rd or 4th for fun as well. 5th gear has that stupid nut issue so I never have any fun while in 5th. But I never hear any of this chatter thing.

Describe this chatter.. I sometimes leave mine in 3rd and don't touch the pedal and let it idle through town and don't hear any chatter. I lug it up hills in 3rd or 4th for fun as well. 5th gear has that stupid nut issue so I never have any fun while in 5th. But I never hear any of this chatter thing.

Chatter isn't the right way to describe the sound ISX...............and I cannot think of a word that fits in this case. All I know is that the NV5600 in my '04.5 doesn't make that sound if I lug her down like my '99 did with the NV4500. That's all!!:2cents::thumbup2: