• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

lift pump.... I would of sworn it was in the tank!

Now I know! This truck is co owned with my FiL, and about the only time I get my 'hands' on it is when something is needing repair! (not a real good arrangement eh?) For me anyway!But we've had this for about 7 years now, bought this '00 3500 just for one purpose: to pull either the stock trailer, or our flatbed.looking for possible causes for a couple of trouble codes... I see it still has the factory block mounted lift pump.I thought these were pretty much recalled early in their life to be retrofitted??? I'll bet a lot of you are thinking.... how can this guy not have heard where the pump was humming?..... well, I am 90% deaf in my right ear... (tire explosion) and my 'stereo' capacity in my head is worthless when it's time to locate origins of certain sounds.. That tired old soldier is going away as soon as a new pump is here, I am amazed it lasted this long 212K miles!

I know I know!.... one of the benefits of co owning.. and not having equal shares.. sighBut, the truck will do a butt load of work this fall.... needs to haul about 3000 round bales home from field, and about 500 calves out of pasture..Maybe I'll buy my fil's share.. and just keep it!

If you are not going to go for more HP, the obivious fix is a frame mounted pump like raptor or AD 100, use the stock withdraw tube & a big line kit & get rid of the restrictive banjo fittings. A better filter will go in the stock housing.

Im confused...are you talking about your truck or lp "going away"? If you are talking about your truck and want to save a few bucks and just get the truck fixed good enough to sell Ive got an original carter lp with a hair over 15k miles id sell you cheap. Ill never put it back on my truck its just sitting around collecting dust. If you are keeping the truck, Id spring for an AD or Raptor like your talking about.

sometimes I get ahead of myself in typing... It's probably difficult for most viewers to read my mind! LOLTo clarify, I am co owner of the 2000 ram that is giving me some difficulty. My fil, who has no patience with machines.... would like to 'dump' it.... and get new. (I hate walking away from a challenge, it's like throwing in the towel)This truck is paid for, and I feel most of the bugs have been worked out over the years: we upgraded the small trans input shaft, did an improved oiling in the 6 speed, and I just put new rubber on.So, this truck still has the original block mounted lift pump.... which from countless posts, threads, forums all say the same: get rid of it and save your vp44. So, I'll take a chance and install an AD 100 and help the life of the VP44. If it eventually gets sold, I will keep my 'upgrade' for future projects!Couple this with the fact of some codes recently popped, and it's a no brainer for me. Fix it, have a dependable truck again (I know for a fact what has been done to it) and continue on with life. And do this to my FIL: :tongue: This truck is subject to cow poop inside and out, brush and tree scrapes and scratches.. cows bumping into it and caving in fenders... It's not a show queen, It has to be dependable!Speaking of the AD, they recommend removing the factory fuel filter, and just run theirs. What about the factory ' water in fuel sensor' ? anything need to be done with that harness? or are they suggesting to just take the element out and run an empty can?Long story short.. This new AD100 will more than take care of my needs today and if tomorrow sees a need for more HP, (a little more) the AD 100 will already be in place. Who knows how much borrowed time I been using up on that old factory lift pump?? Time to change it!

sometimes I get ahead of myself in typing... It's probably difficult for most viewers to read my mind! LOL To clarify, I am co owner of the 2000 ram that is giving me some difficulty. My fil, who has no patience with machines.... would like to 'dump' it.... and get new. (I hate walking away from a challenge, it's like throwing in the towel) This truck is paid for, and I feel most of the bugs have been worked out over the years: we upgraded the small trans input shaft, did an improved oiling in the 6 speed, and I just put new rubber on. So, this truck still has the original block mounted lift pump.... which from countless posts, threads, forums all say the same: get rid of it and save your vp44. So, I'll take a chance and install an AD 100 and help the life of the VP44. If it eventually gets sold, I will keep my 'upgrade' for future projects! Couple this with the fact of some codes recently popped, and it's a no brainer for me. Fix it, have a dependable truck again (I know for a fact what has been done to it) and continue on with life. And do this to my FIL: :tongue: This truck is subject to cow poop inside and out, brush and tree scrapes and scratches.. cows bumping into it and caving in fenders... It's not a show queen, It has to be dependable! Speaking of the AD, they recommend removing the factory fuel filter, and just run theirs. What about the factory ' water in fuel sensor' ? anything need to be done with that harness? or are they suggesting to just take the element out and run an empty can? Long story short.. This new AD100 will more than take care of my needs today and if tomorrow sees a need for more HP, (a little more) the AD 100 will already be in place. Who knows how much borrowed time I been using up on that old factory lift pump?? Time to change it!

Gotcha. Your right you will be much better off getting away from the factory lp. I was only really offering mine in case u were trying to fix it up enough to sell. its a good running pump with low miles and would be perfect for getting a truck "out the door" but not something you would want long term on a truck you plan on keeping.

mike, that looks like a perfect spot... :thumbup2: did you make the bracket, or did the one it came with work there? Use existing holes on the cross member?

I ordered the AD today, it comes with the quick attach hoses, and this kit is for trucks with the lp still on the block.

Just for giggles, I called my 'pump man' who has done most of my ag related injection work... just to pick his brains on the vp44. He about choked on his spit when I told him I still had the original pump and '44 on a 200k ram! I mustof got the 'ONE' LOL.... too bad my luck at powerball isn't this good!

anyway, he said they don't build '44's in his shop... the test bench is too pricey for the number of those pumps in circulation... They farm them out. They are up to about 1500 now, (electronic part REALLY increased recently)

NOW.... any forecast on how long it will take for my vp to croak? I should start a pool! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

That tired old soldier is going away as soon as a new pump is here, I am amazed it lasted this long 212K miles!

Your selling it after you put an lp on it?:ahhh:

Sorry!! The SOLDIER I was refering to was the pump! not the pickup! :lol:

• Owner

This is a old school AirDog short bed bracket which is no longer produced. You could fab out a bracket I'm sure for you application too. As for the mount there is no holes in the frame it's a clamp on style mounting.Personally I would chop off the quick connects and go back to the old school JIC and Pshloc fittings... Talk to Eric at Vulcan Performance.

• Like 1

This is a old school AirDog short bed bracket which is no longer produced. You could fab out a bracket I'm sure for you application too. As for the mount there is no holes in the frame it's a clamp on style mounting.

Are you sure it is no longer produced; I put in an AD150 4 months ago, and the kit came with the brackets. Makes installation NICE!!

The bracket Mike is talking about allows the pump to be mounted perpendicular to the frame. Mine came with 2 brakets to sandwhich the frame between them, but only allows for a parrallell install. I was under the impression the right angle braket was not available anymore also.

Roger that .....My kit came with the 2 "sandwich plates" - and the 3rd piece that is seen - the piece that holds the pump/2 filter assembly. I didn't see the 4th piece - the piece that mounts to the sandwich plate and then holds the 3rd piece....I must have seen the 3 main items and thought that they could have multiple configurations for mounting - but when I looked at my brackets - I didn't observe mounting holes that would be needed...and then there might be clearance issues. My unit is mounted parallel to the rail rather than perpendicular - even if I had the option of going perpendicular - I am not sure of any advantage for my truck to go to a different configuration. (I think you indicated that for your truck - with lots of off-roading, your configuration tucks it close to the skid plate and gives it more protection - something I don't need.)

UPS guy showed up yesterday while I was out finishing up combining beans.. perfect timing too (it's kinda drizzling out this morning!) now I'll have a day to 'play' in the shop :hyper: I'll go ahead and change up my crank position sensor while under it too.Anyway, my new AD 100 with parallel frame mount is now sitting all over the kitchen floor, and all the pieces are inventoried.Nice looking parts!I did a quick read on the installation.... and looks like a well thought out process. I'll probably not cut the lines to fit, and just coil up any extra slack.I like the idea of mounting the 12V supply from the back of the alternator.