• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ok so i picked up a scan gauge the other day. Got it hooked up, filled my tank up and calibrated according to directions and followed through with the other set up instructions. All of the engine monitoring (rpm, coolant temp, etc) seem to be functioning correctly but the avg mpg and mpg are waaay out in left field. Fuel type b seems to give accurate readings when accelerating but when maintaining any speed its way off. Ive taken 2 trips 25 miles each way at 65 mph the gauge shows im getting 40 mpg ish. At 55 its even higher. While id like to see those kind of numbers, its obviously wrong. Anybody have any thoughts? I was reading about the fuel cut off, do i need to adjust this?

Bummer.... thats one of the main reasons i bought it.

- - - Updated - - -

double check your info... Gallons, not litres... miles not Kilometers... you might of missed one

Ive been through all the units of measurement. Theres one setting i havent messed with it has to do with the tps reading 0 when not on the throttle. Thought id check with some of those who have em before i change too much around its not part of the general set up but it is something u can adjust...

I wanted to buy a ScanGaugeII earlier this week, but had to go with Actron... very similar capabilites.anyway, when in the 'veiw data' It shows what both pcm and ecm are seeing from the various sensors.eng temp, rpm, map, intake air temp, boost, etc... are all within 1 number of each other ie: engine rpm would show 803 on the ecm... and 804 on the pcm... temps are within 1 degree, boost is .1 or .2What did catch my eye is the tps! one module showed 0.0 and at the same time the other module showed 10.1 (at idle) They both changed at the same rate while pushing down on the throttle.... always 10.1 difference in the two. Not sure this is a problem, or maybe the 'starting' value is different for the two.LOL< I think these things are more dangerous to have in the cab than a cellphone!!! ( or a good lookin passenger..) :ashamed:

Thanks, Rogan. I feel better knowing at least its not the gauge acting up. I figured it would take a little time but didnt know it would take that long. I usually run through a tank about every 10 days so hopefully withen about a month ill see some improvement

Same fuel station. Same fuel pump. Same direction at the same pump. Fill till the pump cancels by itself. Don't top off! Mine is dead on the money as of current mods. :whistle: (+/- 0.1 gals)

Was yours off in the beginning like i posted last night? Ive got about 300 miles on mine so far, this morning it seemed like it was getting better but for some reason i wasnt getting a reading on my water temp. About halfway into my trip the temp gauge started working but the avg mpg went way out of wack again.

• Owner

My Setting for the 2002 Dodge CumminsFuel Type: DieselaFuel Offset: 22.5% (RV275 Injectors)Fuel Offset: 19.6% (Stock Injectors)Speed: 1% (Corrected for 0.5 MPH offset more true number vs. hand math)As for the speed offset my GPS constantly shows the speedometer off by 0.5 MPH and if I set for 0% speed then the miles are highier showing higher MPG's so I opted for 1% to reduce the speed so the miles are lower and closer to correct and showing slighly lower MPG causing me to fight harder for good numbers. :wink:My Settings for the 1996 Dodge Ram 1500Fuel Type: GasFuel Offset: 233% (Not a typo)Speed: 0%So I can quick change settings and hook up to either rig and see real data. As for the lack of data I would check for error codes or watch for them. Sound like a CCD Network issues coming.

• Like 1

My Setting for the 2002 Dodge Cummins Fuel Type: Diesela Fuel Offset: 22.5% (RV275 Injectors) Fuel Offset: 19.6% (Stock Injectors) Speed: 1% (Corrected for 0.5 MPH offset more true number vs. hand math) As for the speed offset my GPS constantly shows the speedometer off by 0.5 MPH and if I set for 0% speed then the miles are highier showing higher MPG's so I opted for 1% to reduce the speed so the miles are lower and closer to correct and showing slighly lower MPG causing me to fight harder for good numbers. :wink: My Settings for the 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Fuel Type: Gas Fuel Offset: 233% (Not a typo) Speed: 0% So I can quick change settings and hook up to either rig and see real data. As for the lack of data I would check for error codes or watch for them. Sound like a CCD Network issues coming.

Thats interesting. if i have mine on diesel a its way out of wack reads like .02 gph and barely climbs going down the road. Diesel b i think the mpg is realistic accelerating but at steady cruising higher than avg but like i said it seems to be improving since i first hooked it up. What do you mean by ccd network?

• 7 months later...

Thats interesting. if i have mine on diesel a its way out of wack reads like .02 gph and barely climbs going down the road. Diesel b i think the mpg is realistic accelerating but at steady cruising higher than avg but like i said it seems to be improving since i first hooked it up. What do you mean by ccd network?

Can you update me on your ScanGauge II? Did it ever work properly? I have one on order and would like to understand the "real world setup :smart:".

It eventually did come around and was very very close when comparing my mileage to hand calculation. Biggest thing is calibrating it like the instructions say, and be patient. It took a few tanks of fuel. My numbers went out the window when I put bigger injectors in. though. I have about 2000 miles on em and no improvement. I haven't had time to look into it so I've just been ignoring it for now

• Owner

Can you update me on your ScanGauge II? Did it ever work properly? I have one on order and would like to understand the "real world setup :smart:".

I've always been closer to correct with the ScanGauge II for MPG numbers because my odometer is off by 0.5 MPH so in a tank of fuel its closer to being about 20-30 miles off. http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/7620-Odometer-Accuracy So I still do hand math logging of fuel but I use the ScanGauge II more so for day to day tracking of performance than tank to tank. Why? Because I never end up doing just highway miles empty. I'm always hauling something, trailers, firewood, climbing mountain roads, etc. So tank to tank looks much worse than looking day to day. Because one day running empty I can touch 22-23 MPG easy and the next day haul heavy and barely get 12-13 MPG. But still in all the ScanGauge is a valuable tool for learning how to get the most from the truck MPG wise.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have been emailing with James Delong at Linear Logic – Operations Manager:“Diesel B was only used on some 1998-1999 Ford trucks.”My initial setup was incorrect due to Diesel A vs. Diesel B test. I set it to Diesel B and then second fill up at 500 miles/~25 gallons. Again tested Diesel A vs. Diesel B and both went to zero :think:. We found the Cutoff was at default 24 and needed reset to 0 and Diesel A selected. At this point, I needed a complete Factory Reset and start over :ahhh:. I am not even looking at it until the second fill up.I would like to know what setting other people are using for Cutoff. The recommendation is 4 above no throttle TPS value. Also I would like to know the % value most are using after a few tanks. My Diesel B Fill Up value was -19.7% (stock injectors) Josh states Diesel B is the invert of Diesel A. I am happy it matches Michael's numbers :hyper:. My Speed is -8% to match the GPS (tires LT245x75Rx16). Update: On my 3rd tank and offset is 40%. Can anyone reading this, please reply with your numbers.