• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Balance Beads or Traditional Lead Tire Weights??? Which Would You Recommend???

I am really getting tired of the lead tire weights that fall off and require periodic rebalancing. I have been considering using tire balance beads but have no experience with them. Is anyone here using them??? If so, what is your opinion and experience with them been? Thanks in advance for the replies.

Are you talking about the bead packs that go inside the tires or the bead rings that mount between the rim and hub? I personally have never had any luck with the packs that go inside the tires but have read good things about the balance bead rings but have no personal experience with them.

I prefer the traditional tire weights, however they should not fall off if the right type is put on correctly. Do you balance them yourself or have a shop do it for you. My uncle tried the balance powder in his 26,000 gvw service truck and the two tires he put the powder in starting coming apart, it was the only two of the tires out of six that were coming apart and those were the two with powder in them. All six tires were the same brand and installed at the same time.

Are you talking about the bead packs that go inside the tires or the bead rings that mount between the rim and hub? I personally have never had any luck with the packs that go inside the tires but have read good things about the balance bead rings but have no personal experience with them.

I was thinking about the bead packs that get installed inside the tire but I would be just as interested in the others. I just want to run a balance that works the best.

• Staff

So far I've had good luck with the ones you peel and stick on inside the wheel. You cannot see them but the tire shop should use brake cleaner and clean the spot they stick-em on first.I don't like it when the different metals are together on the outside of the wheel rim (standard weights) cause I have seen the alloy rim get weird from electrolisys.

I tried balance beads inside the tires. I had 8 or 9 oz per tire IIRC. Never did take the shake out. When I talked to the manufacturer of the beads, I was told if you have different weights on the inside compared to the outside on your rims, they may not balance right. They also said, if the tire takes a lot of lead to balance (2oz IIRC), the beads would not work too well. I had the ceramic beads. Can't remember who made them, maybe Dyna Bead. Anyway I'm back to normal lead weights. Another expensive lesson.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am probably going to run the rings (bolt between the wheel and hub) with my next set of tires.

I am getting ready to order a set of 4 for each of our trucks. I found a guy on eBay who will give me a deal on them for $174.50 plus $27.22 shipping. If you are interested. I just installed new tires and went up a bit in size to the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO radial in 315/75-16 on the stock OEM aluminum wheels.