• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Injectors. Clean or Replace?

Hi all. This question is directly related to an ongoing thread at Cumminsforum, in which MoparMan is a contributor. http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/search.php?searchid=9890709 I didn't want to high jack the thread, so here I am. Ultimately, it's about fuel efficiency & injectors, but bear with me! I've got a new to me '99Cummins 2500, 5spd, with 207K mls, fully stock. Had it checked out thoroughly before purchase, and everything is A OK. Recent clutch and tranny rebuild. My only concern now is the fuel system (which brings us back to the above mentioned thread). Getting ready for a 2 month Baja trip and want to make sure everything is good before I go. With the exception of the lift pump, which was replaced @ 170K mls, everything else in the fuel system is original. With the price (and core charge) of a VP44, I won't be able to carry a spare with me. Injectors, however, are another story. Obviously I would rather do any work before I leave than on the side of a dusty highway. So I guess what this boils down to is: A -Do I even to worry about the injectors at this mileage? B-If I do, pull and clean the stocks, or replace them? C -If replacing, which are best for fuel efficiency? I'll be hauling a 1725lb truck camper with gear, so realistically, 2300lbs. Thanks in advance for the input. Kevin

If the truck runs good I wouldnt worry about them, these arent finicky like the common rail injectors. If you want a little more power and mpg get a set of rv275 or so, if you want a big power improvement get some 7x.009 or 7x.010 or roughly 100-150hp injectors. My mileage went up with my 7x.010 over stockers but the new has wore off and I dont hotrod.

Mine has 350k on the stock injectors. They all pop fine but one or 2 have developed a tiny leak at the end which guys here tell me is from it not being able to seal perfectly from the gazillion times it has "popped". I don't notice any difference with the truck per say so I don't know if it's actually an issue. If it were me, I would take injectors out and clean them every 100k miles. At 500k I would replace them. Ideally you should pop test them each time after you clean them to see if one is wore out enough to need changing. I don't notice my leaky injector at all but it shows when I pop test it so it's not like you can just "feel" a bad injector, though sometimes it's obvious enough that you can. I know Mike has some 400k mile injectors from Caj that he says are the culprit of a random idle miss or something so I think that alone says it's a good idea to test them after you clean them. Most of mine were fine, I think it was only one that had issues leaking a little. I would think you could just get new tips and pintles but don't know if thats cheaper than a whole injector.

I agree with Mike. I think in this case, you might be better off to replace them. Look for a deal on a set of new RV 275 injectors if you can. If you the truck was going to stay local, I would just keep running what you have.

Mine has 350k on the stock injectors. They all pop fine but one or 2 have developed a tiny leak at the end which guys here tell me is from it not being able to seal perfectly from the gazillion times it has "popped". I don't notice any difference with the truck per say so I don't know if it's actually an issue. If it were me, I would take injectors out and clean them every 100k miles. At 500k I would replace them. Ideally you should pop test them each time after you clean them to see if one is wore out enough to need changing. I don't notice my leaky injector at all but it shows when I pop test it so it's not like you can just "feel" a bad injector, though sometimes it's obvious enough that you can. I know Mike has some 400k mile injectors from Caj that he says are the culprit of a random idle miss or something so I think that alone says it's a good idea to test them after you clean them. Most of mine were fine, I think it was only one that had issues leaking a little. I would think you could just get new tips and pintles but don't know if thats cheaper than a whole injector.

a leaky injector is bad to the effect that it can/will create a hotspot on the piston and if neglected can/will burn a hole in said piston. i had a couple leaky injectors on mine, couldnt "feel" them but sure could hear em! i would spend the $260 from diesel auto performance and get the genuine new bosch rv275's! take about an hour to swap em out and yer good to go

Thanks for the input guys.Leaning towards getting a set of RV275's and having one less thing to worry about. If I get to it before the trip, great. If not at least I have them on hand. @ Randy Hale - I googled 'Diesel Auto Performance' and was directed to 'Diesel Auto Power', which had their own brand (NOT Bosch) of RV275's for $260. Is that what you were talking about? In my limited reading (and more limited knowledge), I've gotten the impression to stay away from off brand/knock off injectors. Opinions?@ Mike Nelson - What will it take for me to by-pass the 20 posts in order to get access to the injector cleaning video? At this stage, being a Cummins owner for all of 3 months, I don't don't have much info to contibute. Just need to soak up as much as possible.@ ISX - How does one go about performing a pop test on injectors? Forgive me if that info is else where and I haven't come across it yet. As always, all info is welcome and appreciated!Kevin

• Owner

@ Mike Nelson - What will it take for me to by-pass the 20 posts in order to get access to the injector cleaning video? At this stage, being a Cummins owner for all of 3 months, I don't don't have much info to contibute. Just need to soak up as much as possible. As always, all info is welcome and appreciated! Kevin

Here is the video.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEfVU5KhoBc

Being you asked... POOF! Upgraded... :wink:

He still has them listed there for $389. That incledes $100 core deposit. YOu get that back if you send your old one in for a net of $289. Thats only $20 more than when I bought mine. I kept my old one for spares. You cant hardly beat that for new Bosche injectors. Free shipping too.