• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel gauge questions

I'm about to order an Isspro EV fuel gauge for my truck from Vulcan. Their 'kit' comes with: "isolator, 30" universal gauge hose with adapters, tubing kit w/ fittings". For the fuel pressure access, I'm assuming I need the tapped 12mm bajo with seals, as opposed to the other push lock fuel tee's offered.I've read alot on here, and other forums, of guys using needle valves in the system as well (or in place) of the isolator, also a tee fitting in there to still preform direct fuel pressure tests. Believe Mike uses air brake line, I would guess that would be in place of the "universal gauge hose"? Just wondering if I would be better off putting my own 'kit' together, and if so, what would the experts (that's you) suggest. Once again, a newbie thanks you for all your input.Kevin

Its cheaper to put your own kit together if you want to run a needle valve instead of the isolator.You can get the big line kit with gauge port so you dont have to run the restrictive banjo bolts for half of what the isolator costs. Here are the parts I used 0-30 psi gauge only, no accessories http://www.vulcanperformance.com/ISSPRO-Fuel-Pressure-Gauge-Only-p/evfpg.htm http://www.vulcanperformance.com/Universal-Boost-tubing-kit-p/utk.htm http://www.vulcanperformance.com/Steering-Column-Pod-94-07-Dodge-p/scp.htm http://www.vulcanperformance.com/Universal-Big-Line-Filter-to-Injection-Pump-Kit-w-p/ffip59.htm and a 1/8 needle valve, napa part number WH6820 or http://www.vulcanperformance.com/Brass-Needle-Valve-p/bnv.htm

Thanks for the shopping list Ryan.I like the idea of the big line kit in the system. How does that steering column mount fit within the existing dash gauges?Just to make sure I've got this straight, the advantage of the needle valve over the isolator is that you can shut off the fuel to the gauge in case of a leak. Correct?

I have run an ISSPRO EV mechanical guage since day one on my truck using only a needle valve and a braided steel line up to the dash mounted guage with zero problems (10+ years and 255,000 miles)The needle valve is used for damping the VP pulses as well as to "turn off" the line in case of a leak. You will have the needle valve barely cracked open when in use.Where you pull fuel from to monitor pressure is for the most part up to you. I have the Vulcan big line kit as well as the lift pump relocate kit on my truck. In my case fuel pressure is monitored out the bottom of the filter canister. I know of several trucks that monitor right at the VP inlet but they tend to get a little more "buzz" in the guage while running.It's pretty straight forward to put together and make work and in the end gives you a huge piece of mind knowing that you can see your fuel pressure in real time.Jeff

Thanks for the shopping list Ryan. I like the idea of the big line kit in the system. How does that steering column mount fit within the existing dash gauges? Just to make sure I've got this straight, the advantage of the needle valve over the isolator is that you can shut off the fuel to the gauge in case of a leak. Correct?

I like the steering column mount, im 6'3" and have no problems seeing over it really isnt in the way of the gauge anyway. The needle valve is nice because unlike the isolator, there are no parts to fail. Its less than $10 and yes you can close it if you do get a leak.

• 2 weeks later...

Wiring. What are you guys doing for wiring up the lights on Isspro fuel gauges? The directions say connect to the dimmer switch. After pulling the dash trim panel and dimmer switch, I'm at a loss. Any reason I couldn't just run a wire to a fuse in the box which is only hot when the key is on? Obviously, either way, the other wire will be ground.As always, Thanks.

Wiring. What are you guys doing for wiring up the lights on Isspro fuel gauges? The directions say connect to the dimmer switch. After pulling the dash trim panel and dimmer switch, I'm at a loss. Any reason I couldn't just run a wire to a fuse in the box which is only hot when the key is on? Obviously, either way, the other wire will be group As always, Thanks.

That is exactly what I did. I bought a fuse tap for a few bucks at the parts store so that all my gauge lights were on a fuse and plugged it right into the fuse panel. I can get a picture of it im not positive thats what theyre called . post-11861-138698193275_thumb.jpg. This is what i call a fuse tap it plugs in to the panel in place of the fuse for your dimmers but its got 2 fuses in. It so that your dimmers are still fused as well as the lights for your gauges. Hope this helped its not the greatest picture but its dark and raining and COLD!