• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Is there any way to convert a 99 to outboard rotors?

Like the title says, has anyone ever done or heard of this being done? I have to change out speed sensors which are hidden under the rotor which is behind the unit bearing............:banghead:. You get the idea. I sure wish mine were like the later models.

I would think you would have to find a set of spindles off of a 2000 to 2002 truck. I believe they have the wheel studs in them as opposed to bieng pressed through the bearings like ours are. With that bieng said, your saying you cant get to your abs sensors? Ive heard of people removing them and injecting grease through the hole into the bearing. I assumed they did this with everything on the truck still, but i could be wrong.

Thats true but first he would have to get the free floating rotor set up like you have. The early 2nd gen trucks are set up a little different than your 01. The wheel studs are pressed through the rotor and into the wheel bearing. So to do a simple brake job and swap rotors or turn them down you have to remove the wheel bearing/ brake rotor assembly, pressthe wheel studs out, put the new rotor on and press the studs back into the bearing. If the wheel bearing hasnt been out in a long time and you live in an area where there is lots of corrosion like myself, they can be a real pain to remove. This was a horrible setup dodge used on the front ends of these trucks.

I'll second the horrible setup motion!! You can see the abs sensor but it's underneath the rotor and I can't get my fingers or a socket in there. Anyone ever pound the studs back through to separate the rotor from the hub and get at the abs sensor that way? Would pounding the studs back in that manner damage the bearings? I just can't believe I have to go through the whole adventure of removing the hubs just to change a speed sensor.

Like the title says, has anyone ever done or heard of this being done? I have to change out speed sensors which are hidden under the rotor which is behind the unit bearing............:banghead:. You get the idea. I sure wish mine were like the later models.

This is the time to consider going to "free spin" kits that allow you to replace the front hubs with a much better assembly that makes it easier to grease or replace front bearings (vs. replacing the entire assembly) - to not have the front drive axle rotating when it isn't being used, etc. A bit pricey - but it is nice once it is done!

if i could find a 2000-02 dodge ram with the newer front axles i could go forwards and try and figure it out. but im not sure if the gas trucks used the same set up as our diesels do (in reguards to 4wd)

I was thinking the same. I don't know anyone who has one though.

I wish you could swap the front calipers from any ford truck with the pieces of crap on these. My 1990 fords work 10x better than these. They are some dual piston fanciness. I slammed on the brakes once so I wouldn't miss a turn and I slammed into the steering wheel. The dodge's brakes wouldn't lock the wheels up if they were on ice.