• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hard starting

hard to start now we have cooler temps. have checked out IAT , and volage is running at 5 volts. any ideas to why intake heater is not powering.

I'd check the ground cable on it :thumbup2: I bought a 3 foot battery cable with 2 flat ends with holes and grounded it to my block where the drivers side battery ground cable goes too. (dr.front bottom by corner of oil pan) also when its cold take a ohms meter and check if power is coming to the grid heater on the back two studs facing firewall running and also off with key in on postion ( might need a friend if its not cold where you are! I know mine stays on for a good 15 seconds right now and its only like -2 out side!!). I sure hope this is the problem because Im guessing a "grid heater" isnt cheap!!!! :shrug:

those grid heater relays on the driver side wheel well wear out and either lock open or closed, i had rebuilt one that decided to lock closed and almost caught fire to something. i actually burned my hand just quickly touching the intake horn. now that both are working the cold starting is very short and reliable