• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Smarty Jr POD update troubles, How is it done?

• Staff

No, they are actually smoother, and easier on the trans. But the 48RE is not known for it's ability to hold additional power, especially when towing. The 40hp tune is the max I would recommend towing on with a stock auto, it's not a matter of if you have trans problems, but when. SW3 will net better mileage than SW1 when empty, so that's okay for driving around if your foot isn't too heavy. I would set PoD at 85 on SW3.

No, they are actually smoother, and easier on the trans. But the 48RE is not known for it's ability to hold additional power, especially when towing. The 40hp tune is the max I would recommend towing on with a stock auto, it's not a matter of if you have trans problems, but when. SW3 will net better mileage than SW1 when empty, so that's okay for driving around if your foot isn't too heavy. I would set PoD at 85 on SW3.

With a bone stock QC 2wd and a stickshift with the factory clutch, what would you set the Jr at?

Well having had a fairly highly modified 2nd gen and a 3rd gen I can say the stock 3rd gen tranny will hold a heck of a lot more HP and TQ than the 2nd gens. My 02 would chatter and slip the stock converter with nothing more than an Edge EZ at 200HP and 400 tq on the dyno . My 05 with 105K and running sw#3 full time for about the last 50K has no issues at all at 407 hp and 750 tq on the dyno and no tq converter slippage at all.The only thing I can see being hard on it is if going to the most aggressive TQ setting. It all comes down to common sense. I sold my 02 with 150K on the clock it was running 560 hp I drag raced and power pulled, I added a single disc BD converter and VB and had to replace the output shaft after it snapped but the main tranny was still ticking when I sold it and had never been rebuilt.

• Staff

With a bone stock QC 2wd and a stickshift with the factory clutch, what would you set the Jr at?

SW2 defaults.

Well having had a fairly highly modified 2nd gen and a 3rd gen I can say the stock 3rd gen tranny will hold a heck of a lot more HP and TQ than the 2nd gens. My 02 would chatter and slip the stock converter with nothing more than an Edge EZ at 200HP and 400 tq on the dyno . My 05 with 105K and running sw#3 full time for about the last 50K has no issues at all at 407 hp and 750 tq on the dyno and no tq converter slippage at all. The only thing I can see being hard on it is if going to the most aggressive TQ setting. It all comes down to common sense. I sold my 02 with 150K on the clock it was running 560 hp I drag raced and power pulled, I added a single disc BD converter and VB and had to replace the output shaft after it snapped but the main tranny was still ticking when I sold it and had never been rebuilt.

The trans is stronger, but also puts down about 285/520 from the factory. It's just a word of caution, as the majority of people don't have the luck you are having.

• Staff

Not luck, just knowledge of how things work and how to use them short of abusing them.:thumbup2:

Which is not always as easy as it sounds. SW3 makes about 900+ ft/lbs at the crank, that's 50% more than the trans was designed for, even an easy right foot is going to abuse the trans.

The week link in the system due to built in low factory pressures is the lockup clutch, and it is easy to feel when it slips. That is how I knew it was time to upgrade the converter and VB on my 02 with only 20k miles on it when it was bone stock with nothing but an Edge EZ. My 05 has held up flawlessly even while regularly towing heavy on SW#3 "Old tune". It has 105K and if it starts to slip now I feel I have got more than my fair share of "Abuse" out of it then.:whistle:I have been waiting for an excuse to upgrade the converter and vb but have not "Felt" the need yet.:tongue:

How are you liking the new tune?

With gas being 3.60 and diesel being 4.20, I have not driven it other than the day I loaded the new tune and went to town to try it. I loaded SW#1 all defaults and it seems a bit more peppy and the engine idles noticably quieter with less timing ping/rattle than before. I will pass judgement until next summer when I start weekly towing of the camper and pontoon again. I don't see any other work in the forseable future as of now. At current fuel prices the Hemi will be the only thing rolling down the road.

• 3 weeks later...

Took it to town last night on SW#2 Timing default and Torque on #3, everything was quiet and smooth and not agressive in the least.Got home and reprogrammed to SW#3 and Timing at #3 and Torque on #2 will be heading to town for my companies christmas party tonight and will give this setting a go and see how agressive the max Torque setting is.So far I like how much smoother and quieter the thing runs versus the original 3rd gen smarty JR tunes.I have not had a chance to tow anything yet to gauge if it smokes less or not. Anything is better than it was, I never knew I had a chrome bumper or silver rocker panels on the right rear with the old tune the whole corner was always black.

• Like 1