• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I have never looked at oiled filters for trucks. Sure does keep my dirt bike happy. They use just foam filters you could blow through and my dad went through the engine last year and said it was the cleanest thing he had ever seen. I use a 40:1 mix of 2 stroke oil so there isn't much oil to build up on anything, but there sure wasn't any dirt in there. But the air filter probably has as much surface area as our stock filters and it's only 300cc so I assume it wouldn't be viable on a truck, though I'd like to see the actual oiled filters people are using. Would be nice to be able to clean them as easily as I clean my dirtbikes filter.

• Owner

I have never looked at oiled filters for trucks. Sure does keep my dirt bike happy. They use just foam filters you could blow through and my dad went through the engine last year and said it was the cleanest thing he had ever seen. I use a 40:1 mix of 2 stroke oil so there isn't much oil to build up on anything, but there sure wasn't any dirt in there. But the air filter probably has as much surface area as our stock filters and it's only 300cc so I assume it wouldn't be viable on a truck, though I'd like to see the actual oiled filters people are using. Would be nice to be able to clean them as easily as I clean my dirtbikes filter.

Kind of like my ATV its a oiled foam filter. But it uses a special spray on oil that is extremely sticky. I picked up a can of it from my local Honda dealer and use it when I do my spring time maintenance. But there is a difference between a naturally aspirated 300cc motorcycle or 420cc ATV. compared to the air volume of a turbo charged Cummins Diesel. You might want to plugin in the spec to one of your spreadsheets and look at the volume difference. This is why the oiled filter work fine for little gasoline engine but not for turbo charged diesels. :whistle:
  • Like 1

I agree with mike on this... I never seen an oiled element on an ag tractor. Most will use a filter within a filter.. but they are dry. And these machines are in the dirtiest environment known to man! (sometimes I'll get almost 10 pounds of dirt blowed out each day) I think the combinations of an oil, and a little dust would 'cake' pretty easy, and it would be similar to throwing a plastic bag around the filter... Unless you washed very very often!

• Like 2

• Staff

Or just get a BHAF. :smart:

I got one sittin' on the shelf, 5 mos. now:doh:. Including a 4 inch ABS coupling, (fits right in there). Just lazy as heck on the weekends. Thanks for the zip tie idea. I have some of those honkers:)

So far most all performance air filters I've seen either dry media, washable, oiled, etc. They all seem to be a dirtier filter. What good is it to have a better flowing filter that flows more dirt than a slightly more restrictive filter that is way oversized for the job and doesn't pass dirt like the performance filters do... :whistle:

i think the BHAF with a surface area almost twice to three times that of the stock filter size would flow the same amount of air or more than a stock size oiled filter. and because of the greater surface area on a BHAF the negative pressure exerted on dirt particles would be far less. the air velocity going through the BHAF media would be far less per square inch. so the bigger the better!
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got my BHAF on, fellas:

Posted Image

Here's the cheesy bracket I made for it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Please excuse the wire -- I will soon upgrade to a bungee cord. :lol:

BTW, this is a 6637 filter. I ordered it from FleetFilter for $47, after shipping! They're located in Brenham, Texas, about 1 1/2 hours west of me, so the filter was here the day after I ordered it. :thumb1:

• Like 1

• Staff

Thanks for the idea because your install leaves enough room for a battery maintainer underneath the filter.:hyper:Bring that truck to my place and I'll clean those battery posts for you. No charge:)

Thanks for the idea because your install leaves enough room for a battery maintainer underneath the filter.:hyper: Bring that truck to my place and I'll clean those battery posts for you. No charge:)

You mean the grease? It's there on purpose.

I use a 6637 filter too. Seems to work great.. Willm, the bracket looks like it works.

It's a little flimsy, but not bad. It's just something I threw together this morning, so like you said, it works. :thumb1:

Will this bracket be in stores locally or is it a custom made piece that I will have to special order? Is there a special orange version? I do like it :thumbup2: I might copy it with aluminum for lighter weight and aerodynamics.

Will this bracket be in stores locally or is it a custom made piece that I will have to special order? Is there a special orange version? I do like it :thumbup2: I might copy it with aluminum for lighter weight and aerodynamics.

It is aluminum, and it's really too light and flimsy, but it works. I used a side panel off of a 300 gallon tote, where they put labels on them; anyway, it's just a thin sheet of aluminum that broke off of our tote, so I cut a strip out and used it.

How was I supposed to know... it looks like you cooked a steak on there :wink: That bracket's a good idea cause there is room there.

I like a little acid on my steak. :thumb1::lmao:

Thanks guys.

Since y'all like it so much, you've motivated me to build another one, and I'll make it a little more beefy. :thumb1: (not sure when I'll get around to it)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I figured I'd give y'all the price from FleetFilter:

NAPA 6637 - $34.08

UPS ground - $9.44

Sales Tax - $3.59

---------- $47.11

• Staff

It is aluminum, and it's really too light and flimsy, but it works. I used a side panel off of a 300 gallon tote, where they put labels on them; anyway, it's just a thin sheet of aluminum that broke off of our tote, so I cut a strip out and used it. I like a little acid on my steak. :thumb1::lmao:

:lol:

I like the bracket. A nice addition. This is the first time I ever heard of a bungee cord being and up grade. I needed to replace my BHAF and was shot of time. I purchased a 6637 from NAPA and was surprised to see it was the same filter as the BHAF except for the size. Both of them DuraLite. Does any one know if size is the only difference? The 6637 only cost $33 versus the BHAf at near $85 from Vulcan.

I like the bracket. A nice addition. This is the first time I ever heard of a bungee cord being and up grade. I needed to replace my BHAF and was shot of time. I purchased a 6637 from NAPA and was surprised to see it was the same filter as the BHAF except for the size. Both of them DuraLite. Does any one know if size is the only difference? The 6637 only cost $33 versus the BHAf at near $85 from Vulcan.

Thanks! A bungee cord would hold it better, and would make things quicker if I had to remove the BHAF. They're the same filter. Both are 10.5" x 10.5". For $46 (before shipping) you can get a NAPA 2790. It's outer diameter is 10.5", but it's almost 12" tall. http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/wix-air-filters/42790.html Some say it's better, some say it lasts longer, but I'd rather save 12-13 dollars and use the 6637 - nothin' wrong with it, and it will last a long time. . . I don't see another 1.3 inches of filter giving you a whole lot more life out of the filter. . . :think:

Thanks! A bungee cord would hold it better, and would make things quicker if I had to remove the BHAF. They're the same filter. Both are 10.5" x 10.5". For $46 (before shipping) you can get a NAPA 2790. It's outer diameter is 10.5", but it's almost 12" tall. http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/wix-air-filters/42790.html Some say it's better, some say it lasts longer, but I'd rather save 12-13 dollars and use the 6637 - nothin' wrong with it, and it will last a long time. . . I don't see another 1.3 inches of filter giving you a whole lot more life out of the filter. . . :think:

I went to NAPA Truck Parts, here in town, and asked about the 6670. THey have to order it, and they want... ... $68!! Eff that!