• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

towing capacity

Hey guys, with me being in the occupation I'am in at the moment, its possible I will end up having to travel for my work. Been thinking about a 5th wheel for this sort of thing, but I have been having a hard time tracking down any information on this.I had at one point had some info, but I can't remember where I got it. I do understand that towing capacities is not the only number to go off of, but it would still be helpful to get the data I need to make an informed decision if I decide to go ahead and get a 5th wheel.

If you check your owner manual it will give you all the info you need to answer your question. Mine tells me that with my configuration I am ok with at a 20k puond gross. Axle weights are shown there also. These weights are losded weights and not the manufactures dry weights of the trailer. You have to figure that kind of stuff in when coming up with what the actuall weignt of your load is.

Ugh, I can't remember if I have 4.10's or 3.55's...I hope to get something in the ball park decent enough and still be able to tow. I plan on trying to keep the loaded weight down to minimun during moves with keeping the fresh, gray and black water empty.I'll have to find a scale to get weighed on..

If you are turning neat 2k rpm at 70mph you should have 3.55. That is in OD. I cant imagine the gear ratio in od is much differant in an auto than a manual.

Thats about right, dripley. Im right at 1800rpm at 70mph, but Im also running 285/75 tires. With factory tires it would be pretty darn close to 2k rpm.

Okay, so someone clarify this for me. When I had the transmission guy rebuild my tranny, he asked me how much I wanna tow. I told him in the range of 12k pounds, IIRC.Now, according to the picture above, I can handle 16 to 18k stock? If so, is that the weight of something I can tow given I do not exceed axle ratings? Or is that the cumulative total of the truck, and trailer?Seems like you would not be able to haul or tow much with a 3/4 ton truck if that was the case.

:duh: ugh, I'm not thrilled bout those numbers... I really thought I could tow/haul more then that. I put cordwood in the bed green and have towed a forklift and trailer at 13k lbs.That don't seem like I'm gonna be able to tow much of a trailer... Looks like I should have gotten a 1 ton! :banghead:

:duh: ugh, I'm not thrilled bout those numbers... I really thought I could tow/haul more then that. I put cordwood in the bed green and have towed a forklift and trailer at 13k lbs. That don't seem like I'm gonna be able to tow much of a trailer... Looks like I should have gotten a 1 ton! :banghead:

Actually a 1 ton gains you nothing but payload in the bed.. Then the extra weight of 2 more wheels means you're down another 100-200lbs, meaning a 2500 can actually pull more. The tongue weight can be more with the 3500, but the GCWR (Combined weight of truck and trailer) is still the same.

If thats the case then, then what the heck do you need to be able to pull something like this?

http://www.bluedogrv.com/showroom/Dutchmen-RV/Voltage/Toy-Hauler-Fifth-Wheels.aspx

2012 Voltage V3950

[TABLE=class: SpecsTable, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

a 3rd gen CR can handle that. With the water tank full I got 12,987lbs and a 2009 2500 will do 13,600lbs with the right truck configuration and a 3500 will do 18,550lbs. This is both the 2009 model year. This seems to go back on what I said but I have been trying different 3500 configurations and the only one that is more than the 2500 is the chassis cab, which is a LOT more for some reason. Something about that one must have upgraded brakes or who knows what to allow for the much higher GCWR.

If you read on the internet there is a lot of grey area with legality. Some cops just look at your weight on the license plate, others look in the door jamb....theres plenty of reasons why there are 1st gens pulling 20k lb trailers and getting away with it. I used to work at a place with 3500 trucks that had 36k lb plates.. The GCWR is around 20,000lbs and in missouri the plates go from 18 to 24 to 36 so in legal terms there was no reason for anything higher than 24k on all those trucks. But the cops seem to just look at the plates here.

• Owner

If you read on the internet there is a lot of grey area with legality. Some cops just look at your weight on the license plate, others look in the door jamb....

Strange enough. Out here in Idaho trucks towing RV don't need special plates. But towing utility trailers you do. As for some of those big 5th wheels I seen where must have jump up to a medium duty truck to tow with. It is so much the being able to pull or stop the trailer it more of the Tail Wagging The Dog problem the trailer ends up having more weight and mass and our little trucks have a hard time holding it steady with cross winds.

Actually a 1 ton gains you nothing but payload in the bed.. Then the extra weight of 2 more wheels means you're down another 100-200lbs, meaning a 2500 can actually pull more. The tongue weight can be more with the 3500, but the GCWR (Combined weight of truck and trailer) is still the same.

How do you figure this?

How do you figure this?

If you look at Mike's pic, I am going to assume the 3 columns are GCWR, shortbed trailer weight and then longebed trailer weight. Now compare the 2 and you can see that the same configuration 2500 can have a higher trailer weight. They are the same trucks with 2 more wheels so although the payload can be more (11,000lbs GVWR compared to 8,800) you still have to abide by the same brakes and whatever else they factor in to get the GCWR.

For instance. The 2500 4 wheel drive furthest column to the right 5 spd 3.55 is 13,250lb trailer. Below the 2500 row is the 3500 stuff and for the same configuration it is 12,950lb trailer. So there is a 300lb difference that is probably the extra wheels/tries and fender flares, along with those spacer things on the front wheels.

Posted Image