• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

No Codes but will surge a little on steady hwy speeds or up hills Please Help!!!

Try this; get a 12v deep cycle battery and run the lift pump off of it. That takes it electrically out of the truck system and you'll see if the pump is the cause of the A/C voltage.

Good idea, I'll have to find battery and give it a try. Thanks for a simple solution that is easily overlooked when I think too hard.

• 5 years later...

I realize this thread is 6 years old but my truck began surging last week & only significant change is I removed Edge w/ Smarty & replaced with Quadzilla last month. Did you end up fixing the issue with the alternator rebuild? Thanks. 

2 hours ago, evan717 said:

I realize this thread is 6 years old but my truck began surging last week & only significant change is I removed Edge w/ Smarty & replaced with Quadzilla last month. Did you end up fixing the issue with the alternator rebuild? Thanks. 

Yes, so far it's been running good. First thing that helped was new injectors, but I still had some hesitation very little, then I rebuilt the alternator that seemed to cure the rest, later on i did the WT mod like @Mopar1973Man suggested and it has reduced the ac noise even more, I also did the pcm protection mod.

If you rebuilt the alternator FYI just changing diodes on mine was half the problem, brushes and armature account for noise also. If you by an alternator get a new denso or an aftermarket higher amp on. I personally would not buy one from local part store that are junk chinese rebuilt units, it's a gamble. 

Also with quad you may want to play with timing a bit, chances are you're over advanced for winter temps which could cause some surging.

• Thanks 1

• Owner
2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I personally would not buy one from local part store that are junk chinese rebuilt units, it's a gamble. 

Not true. All alternators are typically rebuilt in the states. But I will tell you that all diodes are from China even the high amp ones. I've been trying to source out USA made diodes but they do not exist.

Since I did the two mods all the failures have stopped completely. Even the cheap NAPA one I've got now is closing in on 100k miles. The two mods stop the failure issues. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Since I did the two mods all the failures have stopped completely. Even the cheap NAPA one I've got now is closing in on 100k miles. The two mods stop the failure issues. 

Not arguing, but do you think there is a chance you got the better of that 50/50 and it'll last no matter what, kinda like the original. 

• Like 2

I have an AZ alternator l put on 5 years ago, 100k + miles ago. Before the WT's ground mod l was at .035 ac volts and after .010. I cant disagree on the crap shoot part but it would appear l got one built on a Wednesday from parts the were manufactured on a Wednesday. On top of that it was free due to a warranty replacement from the one i bought in Oklahoma 5 years prior. On the alternator l came out rolling 7's for about 24 hours straight.

Still have oe Denso. I did not stop working but failed externally.

post-10340-138698177543_thumb.jpg

Never lost one like that before.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

7vac?

No, 7's at the craps table.

7 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

If the bolt is lose it'll vibrate thru like that

So l learned. Thats the first alternator l ever owned for 10 years. All was working fine until l noticed it. Part of the "lf it aint broke dont fix it syndrome".

• Like 1

Thank you guys for chiming in. Since the cold snap my quad has not been connecting/loading anyway so I presume it reverts to stock quad tune if no bt connectivity (could very well be mistaken). I also found I had massive vacuum leaks so working on that currently. Next is to perform the W-T & PCM wiring mods and move to installing my EMF ball joints. My surging problem is intermittent but I will report back for the record. Thanks again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, evan717 said:

Thank you guys for chiming in. Since the cold snap my quad has not been connecting/loading anyway so I presume it reverts to stock quad tune if no bt connectivity (could very well be mistaken).

It will keep the last tune and level downloaded

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just had this same issue and still have it till I get home to change out my vp44. ram going to change my cam sensor since ill have the pump off anyway and its hidden behind there. I wasted a lot of money on APPS sensors with them doing absolutely nothing. I. would set the apps then as soon as I moved the throttle I would get a different voltage meaning my vp44 brain from industrial injection under 2 years old is already pooched. I will update this once I change out my vp on days off and let  you guys know if that's the problem getting really sick of this surging .

6 minutes ago, RyloBrez said:

I just had this same issue and still have it till I get home to change out my vp44. ram going to change my cam sensor since ill have the pump off anyway and its hidden behind there. I wasted a lot of money on APPS sensors with them doing absolutely nothing. I. would set the apps then as soon as I moved the throttle I would get a different voltage meaning my vp44 brain from industrial injection under 2 years old is already pooched. I will update this once I change out my vp on days off and let  you guys know if that's the problem getting really sick of this surging .

What apps sensors did you use, if anything other than timbo you're wasting money. 

Now for my problem it ended up being between a new set of injectors, alternator, wt mod and just going through all grounds and connections. 

Did you check for codes

• Like 2

@RyloBrez I did have some odd surging out of mine 2 or 3 days before the VP failed, but minewas mechanical failure plus I had a 216 code with it. I have been thru some bouts of surging in the past that stumped me. But as l started going thru the electrical system like @Dieselfuture mentions I was able to get the surging gone and have been free of it since. None of it ever turned out to be the TPS

What makes you think its the VP? 

Im having this problem now too... again. Not stealing the thread just wanna contribute what ive seen in the past on my truck. My issue isnt while under a towing load its just under a load in general. Up an incline, 1800-2000 rpm, 65 to 70 mph, very intermittent. So far its only done it 3 times but its obvious to me that its happening especially when the hesitation causes a power loss that messes up my freeway pass...

I replaced the MAP sensor AND connector mine was corroded about 8 months ago or maybe more now. That was a similar hesitation also with no codes

I have a spare OE APPS to swap out as a tester. Keep forgetting to swap it to test... but its a great idea to have a spare if possible in the whole assembly so you can just swap them real quick and not have to worry about all the calibration steps necessarily or tapping wires and all that fun.

No codes currently, however about once every 2 or 3 weeks it will give me a TPS circuit code although symptom wise that would just be the normal dead pedal then it would come back. However what im dealing with now is more of a hesitation as opposed to a loss of throttle which is very obvious. I have noticed this and maybe its because mines an automatic but if you completely take your foot off the pedal (0%) the press the pedal again (sometimes you have to do it a few times) the throttle comes back. Whereas my dads 02 HO 6sp you would have to shut the truck off (we did it while driving occasionally even) and restart and cross your fingers that it came back.

Also if it helps anyone i had to replace/repair my BUS connectors too in the past. Its a long story but i had to adapt from the triangle plug to the weatherpak plug and it wasnt good so i had to fix it. But for some reason that BUS connector was definitely the cause of my issues once before and it was very intermittent with no codes what so ever. (EDIT this is referring to the Edge where it connects to the BUS)

I thought the WT mod was intended to remedy the torque converter going nuts but i understand how it could apply here too. Ive done that already and that honestly turned the truck around entirely. Electrically everything improved even my stereo quality noticeably improved. If anyone hasnt done it, do it NOW. Its a must for these trucks.

Edited by 2000Ram2500