• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cracked exhaust manifold

So, looking under the hood one day, checking the oil level, I noticed a hairline crack running right between cylinder 3 and 4. More than likely and I'm putting money it, the funky color I was seeing under the turbo on th manifold was probably this same crack, but I bet it has now traveled. If not though, and regardless, how much of this is a problem and do I need to worry?

If this is a mandatory fix, what do I need to go with?

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody, eh?

Mine cracked about the same spot. Not sure if it hurts anything, but I could smell exhaust in the cab so I replaced it. I got a stock replacement from Rockauto, the had the best price. I wanted to up grade but didn't want to spend $300+ on one. Its been a few years now and it seems to be fine.

Nature of the beast, it's cast iron. If there is a slite flaw in the material, the cast it's self, the way the cast is poured, or if it was on a Friday no joke. Think about it some joker ready to go have a beer and the wisle blows at five. :lmao2:Could be somebody washed under the hood before it cooled down, muddin and it got wet when it was 1000 degres

• Like 1

I don't understand why someone like me doesn't have these weird issues like cracked manifold, 5th gear nut, death wobble, etc. But then someone that is citified and doesn't do much with there truck has all the problems? :shrug: Just weird...

:nono: Are you calling me a city slicker?!

Mike,LOLz!!! City boys are NOT the only ones with cracked exhausts.... Case in point right here...But I have to give some "city boy" creds, because my replacement is a great stocker, left over from a pretty boy upgrade! Chances are they come from running exhaust too hot, and turning truck off, or hot hot hot and splashes of water. It is a long casting, differential cooling is gonna be a constant problem. A clean up (so the casting can move under the bolts) and retorque during valve lash adjustment would probably keep them from cracking. It is pretty obvious from the corrosion on mine, the casting could not slip under the hold downs.Merry Christmas everyone,Hag

I'd buy the one for $125 shipped and another for a spare when you find a cheap one. In my experience you'll need it. Ive cracked 2 so far and I'm no city slicker and niether is my truck. I always let it warm up and cool down too according to my pyro. I think the same company that screwed up the 53 blocks also made these manifolds:lol:.

I had one break in the same place, broke completely in two before I noticed, found a couple of the exhaust header bolts were loose. Took them out, put lock-tite on the threads and torqued them back, no further problems after replacing the exhaust header.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...