• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

no powersteering or brakes... again

The '00 did it again this week, no powersteering or brakes. (below ~1500 engine rpm). This is the 3rd time it's done it since FiL bought it 10 years ago. Dealer bent him over both times..... I guess it's my turn!It's got the typical seep at the steering gear, and takes about a quart a year to keep it topped off.. I do have the seal kit onhand.Before I attack this problem, is there anything to check before swapping out the pump? It doesn't sing or whine... and yes, it's full of fluid. Is there a inline filter somewhere to check?The last one was replaced because it doing the same thing, AND it was putting a ton of air in the fluid. almost pure foam... and very noisey.Is there any rebuilders to stay AWAY from? And, is this a typical problem? have about 180k on the truck now.

• 3 weeks later...

I put a Cardone unit with the internal magnet filtration. I got it through rockauto. I think I remember why the second unit failed so quickly... The dealer put a new pump on it about 2 years ago, and after I drove less than 30 miles back to home, the new pump was out of oil!... which I just happened to have a spare quart onboard.turns out, the rebuilt pump came without the 2 mounting bolts that holds the pump into the reservoir... just has plastic plugs (which DON'T hold oil very well...) I can only figure the lack of oil shortened it's life!The dealer wasn't too worried, it was working fine AT THE TIME....I didn't make that same dumb mistake! I think the pump cost me $55.... and about 2 hours time to R and R. I did the vacuum pump-with power steering pump-as-a-whole... timing case-to-pump gasket was reused...