• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Is it that dreaded vp44 time?!?!?!

Last night my buddy (so I can only go off what he tells me happened) had my truck and got a phone call this morning about a dead truck. Code read was p0122 early this morning (I believe this can be from spinning wheels in the snow?) and now the code is the p1693 companion code. I don't have a reader to check further into that one.He said that the truck just stalled out on him... literally just died.Quarter tank of fuel, 18psi fuel pressure when I bump the lift pump.No drips or leaks. I cracked numbers 1 and 3 injectors and he said he saw fuel from #1 but didn't say it was spraying or anything.Over the past 10-15k miles the truck has randomly died maybe 5 times but starts instantly as if an ignition wiring problem exists and a bump causes it to short out and shut off. Maybe this time it just didn't stop shorting out? Or would this all be vp44 electrical failure?I checked the fuses and they were all fine.Should I start with getting that companion code checked out a little deeper? Thanks in advance I really need this thing rolling on its own again soon.

• Owner

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/231-p1693-dtc-detected-in-companion-module

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/151-p0122-apps-sensor-signal-voltage-too-low

Nothing to point to the VP44 quite yet...

Quarter tank of fuel, 18psi fuel pressure when I bump the lift pump.

No drips or leaks.

Good fuel pressure. :think:

This is all there is...

Posted Image

Okay thanks for the reply, the truck will be back home tomorrow morning so I can start the fun process of diagnosing and freezing fingers then. I did come up with the thought of maybe he accidentally put gas in but is too embarrassed to say? He had mentioned maybe putting some more diesel in to make sure it hadn't run low and the gauge being off.That thought,along with fuel gelling is about shot down with good fuel pressure though.Would the APPS keep the engine from starting? Last winter I had thought about the TIMs replacement because I had surging but it went away with warmer weather. I had figured maybe the injection pump heading downhill or the APPS.

Well the truck started right up now. After bleeding injectors awhile and seeing a bit of fuel I checked the ground and voltage to the vp44's plug which checked out fine.By this time I had a fresh charge on the batteries and the weather had warmed up to close to 30degrees.Well it fired right up so maybe I wiggled a magic wire accidentally which leaves the issue unfixed.Or else my fuel was gelled but I feel that is not the case being that my pressure was fine and last winter when it gelled it dropped to zero psi but kept running.I think that the guy driving it decided to test it out and let off of WOT quickly causing it to vapor lock.Sent from mobile

No, that thought did cross my mind but my edge starts beeping low fuel pressure if the tank starts getting down there and the fuel sloshes around. The chances of my pressure sensor and the fuel gauge simultaneously screwing up are pretty slim.I never added any more fuel before getting it going again.Sent from mobile