• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Thoughts on the 5 speed over the 6 speed gearbox? How about a 5 speed w/Gear Vendors?

I have someone on the internet wanting to sell me a complete NV 5 speed gearbox out of a 1999 3500.I do not need (at this time) an extra gearbox but what he does have is a Gear Vendors overdrive attached to the rear end of the gearbox. Have been looking at a GV overdrive for a while now and simply cannot afford the $3000 price. EDIT This $3000 is for a new GV overdrive unit, not the used transmission!Any comments on if it would be worth looking at a 5 speed tranny even if it did have the GV overdrive with it? Personally I like the 6 speed box but would really love another high gear to lower my RPM's on the highway. If I did this could either swap the 6 for the 5 speed with OD, or possibly put the OD on the 6 speed gearbox. Either way could sell the extra transmission and recoup some of my money. Thx,FT

I would seriously think about just putting the gear vendors on the 6 speed box. I have the 6 speed also and I am always wanting the extra overdrive and even some in-between gears, especially between 4-5 and 5-6. Then you could have all kinds of usable rpm power/torque ranges. There are reasons that big rigs have between 10 all the way up to 18 gears:thumbup2:

When I did my auto to manual swap I looked at both the 5 and 6 speed transmission. The low and OD are basically the same, the difference is that the 6 speed has closer gear ratio's. The down fall from what I read is that the 6 speed is hard to get parts for, so I would say get the 5 speed with the GV, put the GV behind your 6 speed transmission and keep the 5 speed around. If you ever have problems with the 6 speed you will have the 5 speed to replace it with. Good luck which ever way you go.

$3K for a tranny attached to a gear vendor OD unit is a super steel, the gear venders unit is worth more than that all by itself. jump on it while you can.

The $3000 price I quoted above is for a new Gear Vendors unit, not a used GV overdrive AND a 5 speed transmission.

Check out this thread- http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/41978-nv5600-fso6406a-6-speed-fuller.html While the 5 & 6 speed are nice, the regular breakage of them is pretty annoying. The Fuller transmissions will last alot longer & the clutch is good for about 250K. Clutch is also only $400 - $500. Put it in one time & forget about breakage. Also, it's the same weight as the 6 speed that came factory. Ed

Check out this thread- http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/41978-nv5600-fso6406a-6-speed-fuller.html While the 5 & 6 speed are nice, the regular breakage of them is pretty annoying. The Fuller transmissions will last alot longer & the clutch is good for about 250K. Clutch is also only $400 - $500. Put it in one time & forget about breakage. Also, it's the same weight as the 6 speed that came factory. Ed

Well, after spending the time to go through the first 10 (of 81) pages on this thread, not sure how it helps me. First off guess I am having good success with the 6 speed but then I rarely tow and even then its just a small trailer and not the 25,000 pound loads that these guys are talking about. Lots of good info there if someone wants to go to another gearbox...