• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Intermittent high idle??

I am a newb to diesels. Truck runs great and has a new 12V motor in it. I have searched many forums looking for similar issues. It doe not act fuel related...Here is my issue....Drove it to the store and when I came out to start it, the engine would only run with the starter cranking and would die when the key went back to the run position. However, when I gave it some pedal, then the truck stayed running when the key was returned to the run position. Truck seems to start normally a day later. The issue I have is when I let off the throttle, the idle will stay high for a moment (1100-1200 rpm) before it drops to normal. It does not matter if the truck is in drive, park or moving down the road. So when I am coming up to a stop sign and take my foot off the accelerator, the engine RPM will drop and the I get an little burst of rpm then it will hang out at the 1100-1200 range for a second or 2 or maybe longer before it drops to the normal idle.Any ideas what to look for??I was thinking the TPS controlling a low idle solenoid but not sure if this thing even has a low idle solenoid.

A 12 valve does not have an idle solenoid. Everything is mechanical so it sounds like your idle hanging is more of a governor issue than anything. Did the previous owner put a governor spring kit in it? If so the springs may be a bit tight or one side is not adjusted properly. Check out the two threads about the P7100 pump and spring kit install.

A 12 valve does not have an idle solenoid. Everything is mechanical so it sounds like your idle hanging is more of a governor issue than anything. Did the previous owner put a governor spring kit in it? If so the springs may be a bit tight or one side is not adjusted properly. Check out the two threads about the P7100 pump and spring kit install.

Stock governor. I have driven this truck for about 5 months and it never behaved like this. I will check out the thread on the pump.

Wasn't the throttle cable a recall on these things? Maybe it is hanging or something. So you are saying when you let off it stops at 1100ish for a second then drops back down? If I read correctly and thats the case then you might watch the throttle cable next to the pump, have someone rev it up and see if the cable hangs for a sec then gets "unhung" and pulls it back to idle.

Wasn't the throttle cable a recall on these things? Maybe it is hanging or something. So you are saying when you let off it stops at 1100ish for a second then drops back down? If I read correctly and thats the case then you might watch the throttle cable next to the pump, have someone rev it up and see if the cable hangs for a sec then gets "unhung" and pulls it back to idle.

No recalls available for my VIN. I always instill in people the "KISS" principle and yet I don't follow it myself. I feel like a complete heel right now.:duh: The throttle lever was hanging up on the plunger of the exhaust brake switch all of a sudden. Maybe that is why the newer ones have a whisker style switch. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction:)