• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Balancing Acts

Just did this for the inline 6 http://www.mopar1973man.com/isx97/Charts/Inline6.JPG Going to do it for the V8 now. The top is TDC power/compression the bottom is TDC intake/exhaust and middle is BDC. The same color lines are running mates. So starting at the very top left that green line is #1 and you follow it all the way diagonally down to the bottom of the page then back up to the top right. I know pistons don't move this way but it's neat enough :cool:

Well crap I can't figure the V8 out. Thought they all had running mates but as I watch youtube vids it looks like some do and some don't. I looked at the duramax crankshaft and it seems to have the 2 inner throws matched along with the 2 outer ones. But I'm not sure and there seems to be all sorts of designs. But then in this pic it obviously shows a different story. http://image.dieselpowermag.com/f/34961496/1012dp_26_o+1012dp_how_its_made_duramax_diesel+bosch_cp4_pump.jpg

Alright it's just a regular crossplane. Don't know what that one I saw was.

I finally got my head wrapped around the whole V8 thing. I guess I had never thought about it before. The outer throws are 180 from each other, and the inner ones are as well. So you end up with all 4 parts of 90* covered. But then the V shape was throwing me off. The blocks are usually 90* V and that means when on piston gets to TDC, then being 90* V with each 90* having a throw, then the other side of the engine has a crank throw at TDC as well. The balancing crap seems to derive from the fact that there is no even order. As in it goes from the Left to the right bank firing like this : L R L L R L R R.....so there are times when there are 2 power strokes on just one side of the engine. I'm not sure if thats the cause or not but seems like it to me. Have to keep learning. And with it being like that, a V8 crossplane would have much the same chart as the inline 6, cept more lines. So heck with that. A 7 cylinder though! Or even that inline 5 in colorado trucks.... Time to read and chart.

Well being there is no running mates according to this video, means my chart would look the same. I wanted to see some sorta flaw but I am not going to see it with the way I did it. I think the issues with the odd numbered engines is that they have no running mate to cancel out the forces of things so they rattle a lot.