• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1999 2500 2wd stalls when put in gear

well just letting you guys out there Thanks for the help I found a 47RE w/ TC for 400.00. 100.00 in fuel to get it and a little over a 100.00 filter gasket and 14 qt of fluid truck is running great but three whole days of labor doing it but I can probably do an RR next time in about 4hrs.lol Thanks

well insatalled the used trans and put new filter and flushed fluid blew out oil coolers(2) and truck did not stall and seemed sluggish but I have been driving different vehicles the past few days well it seems to be taking off in 2nd or third gear but if I put it in 1st and manuelly shift it it is fine well drove for about 20 miles stop and go and the trans temp light came on ( never has before ) and OD off light came on truck started acting up ishifted the truck and stomped on it and the lights went out for about 2 miles then the light came back on but truck ran fine as long as i did not stop if I did I had to manualy shift ...any Ideas I am 750.00 in the hole so far

- - - Updated - - -

well insatalled the used trans and put new filter and flushed fluid blew out oil coolers(2) and truck did not stall and seemed sluggish but I have been driving different vehicles the past few days well it seems to be taking off in 2nd or third gear but if I put it in 1st and manuelly shift it it is fine well drove for about 20 miles stop and go and the trans temp light came on ( never has before ) and OD off light came on truck started acting up ishifted the truck and stomped on it and the lights went out for about 2 miles then the light came back on but truck ran fine as long as i did not stop if I did I had to manualy shift ...any Ideas I am 750.00 in the hole so far

Depending on the year of truck the trans came from you may need to change the valve body out Im not 100 percent sure on the years but I think the 00-02 are different than the 99 and earlier the line pressures are different which will prevent proper shifting and OD with converter lockWhen the high temp light comes on the trans will kick itself out of OD in attempt to circulate more fluid to cool the trans down. As long as your not actually overheating, I would bet money thats due to an incorrect valvebody also

• Like 1

Not sure how to tell what year. Anyway to find out from the previous owner?As far as overheating I would check the fluid temp verify its not overheating the light may be coming on due to incorrect valvebody also. If the light comes on almost instantly and you can grab ahold of the trans lines and theyre still cool to the touch you know you know you dont have an overheating issue

Depending on the year of truck the trans came from you may need to change the valve body out Im not 100 percent sure on the years but I think the 00-02 are different than the 99 and earlier the line pressures are different which will prevent proper shifting and OD with converter lock When the high temp light comes on the trans will kick itself out of OD in attempt to circulate more fluid to cool the trans down. As long as your not actually overheating, I would bet money thats due to an incorrect valvebody also

^^^^ this .... Yes Definitely sounds like your on limp mode. Either wrong valve body or need a new governor pressure sensor etc

cannot get a hold of the guy I purchased from left messages no reply so I am on my own..when light came on the lines were hot but my cooler up front was not so I thought maybe clogged . I took apart and flush again started truck let run without driving it and cooler was hot the same as lines . can I use the parts you mensioned out of the old one? if you read all my post are they still good?

Yep it is in limp mode and if so there should be a logged code in the PCM as to what is wrong but usuallu it is a bad governor pressure solenoid that causes it. If driving in limp mode it would heat up very fast too.Swap the solenoid and or if you want the whole VB but I would be cautiuos with that move seeing how much debris was running through your system, I would take it to a tranny shop and have it checked out.I warned you of buying used trannies, don't say you were not warned of the issues at hand.:nono:

As mentioned it may be risky using the old valve body I dont really know for sure.... when I swapped the built trans out of my 00 into my 98.5 the entire valve body had to be swapped. Luckily the trans was still new so my tranny guy swapped me the correct valvebody and he just kept the one out of my 00. I made the mistake and didnt ask him before I swapped and got the trans into my 98.5 and it was doing the exact same thing yours is... temp light was on which kept it out of OD and would start off in 2nd gear. Im almost certain your issue is the valve body. But mine wasnt actually getting hot the light would come on instantly even before it had the chance to warm up.

since I do not know what year it is and do not know anything about this 47re do you think its something I can take out and bring to a shop to check? where is the solenoid? .I build complete engines sbc and HD's but just never messed w/ auto trans before and this is not just an ordanary unit. will a trans shop even look at it for me?the VB that is.I asked a local trans shop what you suggested and they said it would take them 4-5 hrs to change a VB, is this right?Thanks I need all the hellp I can get right now

For all you guys that had input on helping me I thank you. I found the problem with the used trans 2000 will not work on a 99 i swapped the wiring harness and the two valves that the harness is connected to and it is driving just fine. the solenoids on these 47re work on diferrent ohms and even though the 47re are excactly the same the wiring and harness inside the tranny is diferrent... I just want to say Thanks to Robert from CASCADE TRANSMISSIONS IN OREGON he talked to me explained it to me and has many videos on you tube about dodge trannys.. anyway once he explained it, It took less than an hour to swap it all and get on the road . Thank you mopar man