• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Raptor FRRP or FASS DDRP ?

I have decided that all I need for my almost stock truck (injector upgrade before I got it) is a replacement aftermarket lift pump like a FASS or Raptor. I read some good and some bad about both.. Any opinions about which one would be the best way to go?I have a motor mounted pump on my 2001 and I am told I wouldn't need a draw straw. Would everyone agree with that?I also plan to put a big line kit all the way from the tank to the VP44 and a pre-filter before the pump.Thanks in advance for any opinions or advice.

There are some on the forum that are using this type of setup. I would recommend moving the pump from a motor location to tclosest to the fuel tank in order to receive the maximum benefit of the new fuel pump. Do you know what the GPH of each pump is? Do you have a FP gauge at the present?

Ive got the Raptor 100 FRRP and so far it hasnt given me any issues. Even if I have my smarty turned all the way up and I stand on it the pressure will only drop 3 to maybe 4 psi max. I normally run on Catcher 5 and doing the same thing it will drop it 3 psi at the most so I think its more than capable of handling fuel volume on lightly modded trucks. The only down side is the lack of additional filtration it offers, not for the pumps sake but for the truck. It was all I could afford at the time as we were in the middle of buying a new house. I plan on doing injectors in the future and will add an additional set of filters before they go in. They come with a 4 year warranty, if mine makes it past the warranty Ive been thinking about replacing it with a mechanical style pump.

Brian - They are both listed at a 100 GPM pumps... I don't have a fuel gauge now, but I am going to get one with a boost gauge and a EGT.. I know Vulcan advertises on here and I have talked to Eric which seems like a very knowledgeable guy. I am assuming they are a good supplier..

• Owner

Both are good pump per say but both pump require a prefilter mounted before the pump. So now you got to add a filter mount and spin on filter of some sort. Then we all know the stock filter are standard 10 micron at best. So you most likely end up adding a filter after the pump.Geez... Starting to look like a full FASS or AirDog. :lol:Seriously. The prefilter is required by both pumps to protect the pump from inhaling a large piece of debris and jamming the rotors.

Thanks for all the replies. They have been very helpful. I think I am going with the Raptor 100 since it has a lifetime warranty. I think mounting it on the frame, close to the tank is a great idea. A big line kit from tank to VP44 while keeping the stock filter. I am also going to plum the Raptor so I can keep my stock pump as a spare so I could hook it up where the Raptor is mounted in case it fails out on the road. Adding a real filter before the pump makes a lot of sense.A set of ISSPRO mechanical gauges, and a 4” exhaust….and a BHAF, then, I am done… These diesel truck mods are not cheap.. But the old girl sure pulls my race car trailer nicely… Way better than the old 509 crew cab…

I did search the web for Raptor Problems and found that most of them were at the end of 2011 and the start of 2012 thru about May. There have been no current posts about issues on Raptors since then. One person mentioned that the older silver pumps were the ones with the issue. The newer black ones don’t seem to be problematic. I am not sure that is totally correct, but it is what I could find...

I did search the web for Raptor Problems and found that most of them were at the end of 2011 and the start of 2012 thru about May. There have been no current posts about issues on Raptors since then. One person mentioned that the older silver pumps were the ones with the issue. The newer black ones don’t seem to be problematic. I am not sure that is totally correct, but it is what I could find...

I sure hope you are correct..............because when my current GDP Walbro goes South, I was hoping to go with a Raptor. I got scared for a while because of the posts of Raptor failures. Please keep us informed about your Raptor if'n you buy and install it!!!!:thumbup2::cool:

The Raptors are not vane pumps like the FASS so they are more tolerant to passing debris. I havent seen anywhere on their websites or in my installation manual where they recommend installing a prefilter? :shrug: my friend who bought a FASS a few months after I bought my Raptor said they did recommend a prefilter, he questioned me if the Raptors did as well so I went on a search and was never able to find anything. Not saying it wouldnt be a good idea, more is definitely better. If theres any info you guys have seen that says otherwise Id appreciate a link? Or something because that means Ive been doin er wrong this whole time :doh:

• Owner

Interesting, I hadn't heard about the issues. When was pureflow sold?

Guessing about 2-3 years ago. It's been awhile since that ownership change. But since the ownership change was when the design changed. To the new pre-made everything. The old school short bed bracket discontinued, no more Pushloc or JIC fittings, etc. The one that told me about all the changes was Eric over at Vulcan Performance since he was the provider of all the plumbing part for both FASS and Pureflow.

Bought a Raptor 100 in July 2012. It failed , seal failure in November. The replacement would not pump. Played with the relief valve. Thought I was cranking it in too much. All of a sudden it was produceing 80psi. Blew my 0-50psi manual guage. This past week it was set at 23psi static and would only produce 9psi at max pull and as low as 14psi at 0 boost and 1800rpm. I do only have a stock fuel line set up, but the first pump performed a lot better than this one ( psi wise ) before the seal failed which caused the motor to quit. I will put on a big line kit next week.

Bought a Raptor 100 in July 2012. It failed , seal failure in November. The replacement would not pump. Played with the relief valve. Thought I was cranking it in too much. All of a sudden it was produceing 80psi. Blew my 0-50psi manual guage. This past week it was set at 23psi static and would only produce 9psi at max pull and as low as 14psi at 0 boost and 1800rpm. I do only have a stock fuel line set up, but the first pump performed a lot better than this one ( psi wise ) before the seal failed which caused the motor to quit. I will put on a big line kit next week.

After a week of thinking about my earlier post. I could have gotten a bad load of fuel. A plugged fuel filter could cause the low pressure problem on a hard pull. I should not knock the new pumps performance until I check pressure before and after the filter. Will do that after I get the larger lines installed.

I would move the pump to under the truck like it has been mentioned. Instead of a nearly useless prefilter strainer I would put a BF1212 before the pump, it will remove water/debris and work great.

I was curious how you would go about mounting this filter. It seems like a great idea and I would like to do it. I have also been looking at getting a new pump for a while. I have been talking about it over in the fuel pressure topic, but this seems like a better place. I have a FASS hpfp already mounted under the bed on the frame. I also have a 3/8 big line kit from tank to VP. I am not sure if there is a draw straw or not. I bought the truck with this set up. Got a gauge on it a while back and am not happy with the pressures. Would I be better to just get another FASS to go in its place? Would a rapter or some other pump hook up and install similarly to how my FASS is now?