• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Raptor FRRP or FASS DDRP ?

The Raptors are not vane pumps like the FASS so they are more tolerant to passing debris. I havent seen anywhere on their websites or in my installation manual where they recommend installing a prefilter? :shrug: my friend who bought a FASS a few months after I bought my Raptor said they did recommend a prefilter, he questioned me if the Raptors did as well so I went on a search and was never able to find anything. Not saying it wouldnt be a good idea, more is definitely better. If theres any info you guys have seen that says otherwise Id appreciate a link? Or something because that means Ive been doin er wrong this whole time :doh:

Just so you know, A FASS IS a gear style pump and it can be jammed by debris from the tank. A rotary vane pump will pass most debris trough the pump because the vanes can retract.

I ran the raptor 100 and a big line about 6 years ago. Kept the original fuel filter. It wouldn't keep up with the fuel I needed and I smoked it. I upgraded to the raptor 150 and have been running it for 5 years. I can still pull it down 10+ lbs when I get on it. I have been running 23 - 24 lbs at idle for 5 years. WOT will pull it down to 15 lbs with a clean filter.

Can you adjust the pressure on the HPFP? GDP, as well as others, sell kits to mount a filter under the truck. If you want to build your own the filter base is a Baldwin FB1311.

On the new hpfp you can adjust the pressure and even hook a boost line to it for on demand power. Mine is at least 6-7 years old so it doesn't. I will be looking into gettin a filter base and build my own. The company I work for is a Baldwin dealer:)

I ran the raptor 100 and a big line about 6 years ago. Kept the original fuel filter. It wouldn't keep up with the fuel I needed and I smoked it. I upgraded to the raptor 150 and have been running it for 5 years. I can still pull it down 10+ lbs when I get on it. I have been running 23 - 24 lbs at idle for 5 years. WOT will pull it down to 15 lbs with a clean filter.

bout inline with mine :)

After a week of thinking about my earlier post. I could have gotten a bad load of fuel. A plugged fuel filter could cause the low pressure problem on a hard pull. I should not knock the new pumps performance until I check pressure before and after the filter. Will do that after I get the larger lines installed.

Installed 3/8 lines from tank to VP44 today. Installed an easy to reach pressure port at main filter inlet. Sure enough my filter with only 4,000 miles on it is plugging. Pump port press. is 13 lb, pre filter port is 20 lb on hard pull not towing. As for pre filters to the pump, Vulcan sells a simple can inline Donaldson 140 micron screen filter in 3/8 and 1/2 in size for around $15.00. I used the 3/8 banjo fittings at filter and VP. I drilled out the port holes in my old banjo bolts to .182. I also noted that the modified banjo bolt with the 1/8 npt tap on the end of the bolt is only drilled .130 and needs drilled out to .182. Hope this info helps.

Since I have a stock truck Eric at Vulcan has convinced me I won’t have any issues with the Raptor 100. I purchased a real filter to go in front of it, and bought the fittings to easily plum in the stock Carter pump in case of an emergency. Just the pump, big line kit, extra fittings for the Carter, BHAF W/cover, extra real filter, and 3 gauges cost 850.00.This stuff should show up next week so if it is not freezing outside I will let you know it goes…

That sounds awesome. I will probably keep my FASS as a back up too. I wonder if there is any way to purchase the rapter pump somewhere with no accessories for it? I have the big line kit and everything already, all I need is a pump and mounting bracket. Anyone know how the rapter wires up? Would it just plug in to the two-wire cable like the FASS is now?

- - - Updated - - -

Well I answered my own question. XDP has raptors for pretty cheap and they give you the option to buy them without any other hardware. I can get the Raptor 150 for less than $300 and the 100 for less than $280. They both have the adjustable regulator. I would probably be ok with the 100 since I have a pretty close to stock truck. Having some RV275's put in this week:hyper:

• 5 months later...

i put a fass ddrp on my truck and was getting 13 psi idle. emailed fass and they sent me a new longer spring to install. now i get 18 to 19 at idle. i suggest you take yours apart if you order one and see if you got stuck with a short spring then then contact fass to have them send the longer one cause it sucks balls to have to take it back out just to do that. they also give you a inline filter to install 8 inches from pump

• 2 months later...

Since I have a stock truck Eric at Vulcan has convinced me I won’t have any issues with the Raptor 100. I purchased a real filter to go in front of it, and bought the fittings to easily plum in the stock Carter pump in case of an emergency. Just the pump, big line kit, extra fittings for the Carter, BHAF W/cover, extra real filter, and 3 gauges cost 850.00. This stuff should show up next week so if it is not freezing outside I will let you know it goes…

Utah Dually, hello i'm brand new to the forum, and have a 2001 bone stock that im currently trying to do the same thing to. I was curious to know where you got your parts from? Thanks in advance for your help Chrisrmerritt

Vulcan Performance is the place..... Great people... By the way, the Raptor is working out just fine. Stock draw straw, extra real filter before the pump, and big line kit to the stock filter. Didn't do the big line from the stock filter to the 44. So far so good. Very happy with the set up.

Oh ok thanks for the info Utah Dually. Let me get this straight though. You've got the fuel from the tank going through the filter to the Raptor pump mounted on the frame up to the stock pump then to the 44 right? Just want to make sure I get this right before I do it. Been doing as much home work as possible on this issue of mine before I start wrenching don't want to F**** it up. Also another question for you do you use the 2 stroke oil in your fuel? I m getting ready to do this but am hesitant. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk