• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Weston built mine.Chris helped me get in touch with him.If you lift the head 0.20 the factory style injector is out 0.20.Whats so hard to understand.Then if you cut 0.20 off the body of the injector it sits in the factory location.My injector guy is a pro.He doesent get them from a vendor he builds them him self.When i hooked up with him he asked many questions.I bet when you or others get injectors they just ask the year and make.Mine asked what lift my cam has,turbo,auto or stick,what kind of gears i run,tire size, and he also wanted to know not only if i spray nitrous he wanted to know what jet i use.He wanted to know what kind of a port&polish job was done on my head and if the intake was cut off etc.I have had off the shelf injectors.I have no problem with people who want to run them.There is some good ones out there.The reason i responded to this thread was to help.Southern diesel x is a good place to get injector help.

• Like 1

Ok... back to stock and miss is GONE! I double checked everything and I got it done in nearly half the time as I did the first time... But I took the truck out and got it nice and warm and brought in back and it just purrs like it use to... Now I'm going to contact Idaho Diesel Tech after Christmas and see about getting these RV275 popped test and fixed up...

Sorry to hear about the injector issue Mike. When you say "miss" are you meaning a dead cylinder misfire or an uneven idle or lope? The reason I ask is that my engine will lope from time to time especially when idling along in gear since I installed the Mach 1.6 injectors. Anyhow, hope you can get them tested and ready to install soon. That was a lot of work to take them right back out again.

Am i picking up on the suggestion that the RV275 units are about the top out for a stock hx turbo without a potential egt issue? I mean without having to constantly monitor temps if your towing etc? Am I correct to assume that in stock trim there is just not enough fuel to create egt problems. I would guess so since they did not come stock with egt gauge so dodge would be liable if towing was causing unknown dangerous egts an damaging pistons etc.

In stock configuration, this may be the case. In my opinion, a lot depends upon the air intake capacity and exhaust capacity. When we installed the Mach 1.6 (90 hp) injectors on my truck while leaving the stock OEM airbox & filter and OEM exhaust; the egt's were noticibly highter and under high gear load exceeded safe limits if allowed to go for very long. With the Edge EZ installed, this severely aggravated the EGT problem. I tried a drop in AFe high flow air filter which turned out to be JUNK and flowed even less air than the OEM paper filter. With both the OEM and AFe filters, I could set the filter minder with one hard pull on the engine. Next I tried the BHAF, which made a huge improvemnt in air flow and dramatically dropped the EGT's. I later added a 5 inch straight pipe exhaust which made a further improvement in EGT's as well as made for faster turbo spool times. The combination of the BHAF and 5 inch exhaust worked VERY well and now my problem is slipping the clutch. :biggrin: EGT's remain well within safe limits upto the limits of what the stock clutch can hold. Next comes the South Bend clutch and slave cylinder. :$: So, in answer to your question, the stock turbo can or should be able to safely handle an injector, intake, exahust engine configuration that produces not more than around 36 psi boost for a long life. They can produce more but in my opinion with substantially reduced life and reliability. As a rule, pretty much anytime you deviate much from OEM stock power configurations, you will be changing/upgrading a number of items in order for the engine to operate within allowable and acceptable limits. A stock engine is limited in boost by the ECM to approx. 20 psi boost. This will protect the engine from excessive EGT's in all but the most unusual circumstances if any.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

Well gang... It completeled I now have to update my signature... I took the injectors to Idaho Diesel Tech in Lewiston and had them pop tested. Well I was meet with quite the shock when I got there. The guy was really super cool about it and told me to follow him. Well back in the shop he setup the jug for pop testing and put them in a cabnet. Couple of pump on the handle and POP! Nice pretty spray pattern appeared. He said "If you would like to see what it looks like run here - CLICK!" He flipped a switch and a electric pump kicks in and shows you a pretty mist pattern and the pulses. I make a long story short he explain the basic functions of a injection and some of the different style of injector. Them he hands me a book... It got even type of fuel system in it explained... Then he was nice enough to write down the book info so I could buy one... OMG! This has to be the best shop in Idaho! Killer people... Needless to say all injectors were pop tested for FREE and I got a FREE bottle of stanadyne additive then he explain my mistake to me and how to do it really fast install..Well needless to say nothing was wrong with the injectors and there now installed in under 2 hours! :shocked2: Can wait when I go to work tomorrow to see the smoke if any...:coal:

• Like 1

• Owner

So what turned out to be the problem?

yea so are you gonna share the info? you teasing everyone with info candy?? :p

There wasn't any problem... It was all human error... Somewhere down the line I mis-installed one and created the problem. :confused: He figures I did get the connector tube seated properly and create a fuel leak or such... So I followed his tips and went good and fast...

Well I learned a lot from this I will be updating the injector install page again with more tidbits of information soon... :whistle:

• Like 1

Those injectors had 4 or 5 hundred thousand miles on them when I took them out. I never did anything to them. I ran cetane through them once in awhile. Other than that I ran them as hard as I could most of the time. I am a firm believer that only buying Flying J diesel has made a difference in my trucks life. I don't add two stroke oil or anything like that. My current IP has well over 200k miles on it.

Those injectors had 4 or 5 hundred thousand miles on them when I took them out. I never did anything to them. I ran cetane through them once in awhile. Other than that I ran them as hard as I could most of the time. I am a firm believer that only buying Flying J diesel has made a difference in my trucks life. I don't add two stroke oil or anything like that. My current IP has well over 200k miles on it.

i like Flying J's diesel also...but i was informed this week that they heat their fuel year round. i don't think i need to say it,but....heat makes things expand. maybe that is why they're always 0.02 cheaper than the rest?
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did the previous owner have them tested/adjusted? that is almost unheard of. Must of been the worlds best ever injectors for sure.:cool:

What do you mean by test and adjust the injectors, To my knolwege they can only be pop tested to see if the pop pressure is within OEM tollarance. if one is week or dripping it can only be replaced. this can slightly through off your overall matched pressure tollarance's between the set of 6. Now if you are lucky enough to find a good diesel shop with with a nice Tech. like Mike did they may be willing to pop test 3 or 4 new ones to try and closely match your other ones NOTE:.. A SET OF NEW O.E.M. INJECTORS CAN VARY AS MUCH AS 11% FROM THE LOWEST TO THE HIGHEST. THE DDP INJECTORS I INSTALLED 2-MONTHS AGO WERE GUARANTEED TO VARY ONLY 2% OR LESS, 30-DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. I COULD TELL IT AS SOON AS I FIRST STARTED THE MOTOR, I NEVER HEARED A 24V ISB IDLE THAT SMOOTH. RICHIE
  • Like 1