• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Thinking ahead........need opinions.

Gamble

There may be a few threads on this on the CF, but I came here first because of how I highly value opinions here.I was cleaning out the ole girl a couple days ago and noticed I had a little drop of water up near the rear view....on the inside. Now we have had a few torrential down pours lately and I thought maybe just coincidence... all the same I knew that when my truck was redone prior to my ownership they did a poor job on the cab lights and left a mess of sealant around the center light so... my curiosity got the immediate best of me. I climbed up the side of the truck and while I found absolutely nothing wrong with the cab lights because I was distracted. I did find that the paint is chipping all around my cab lights and it really upset me. I use my truck and its not ever going to be a show queen but I take very good care of it and want it to last.This was the long way to say...I'm thinking about lineX-ing the whole truck... Basically I knew when I bought the truck it had been redone...Best I can tell they tore the truck down, put a new bed on (was a flat bed at some point) replaced fenders, possibly cab, and the whole truck was painted. They did an OK job on the paint, but it was not an expensive job for sure. Did a cheap, cheap (thats not a repeat, thats a cheap version of a cheap version) bed liner that is not worth a dime. I intended to take the truck and have the bed lineX-ed and the lower rockers, etc up the the body line, and around the fender wells as I can see original (red) paint color from rock chips, etc. Since the discovery of the chipped paint on top, for what it would cost to do the separate paint on top and lineX the rest that needs it, I considered just doing the whole thing and for the fact that I am starting an offroad Jeep build and will be trailering through some areas that would just be scratching up my truck anyway. I intend to own this truck for a long till death do us part time and don't want to have to deal with the other issues again down the road. WHEW....any thoughts on this guys. I would be taking the seats out, slide the bed out and removing all other things allowing for a complete spray. I haven't priced it yet but am strongly considering it.

If it were me I would LineX the rockers since thats where all the abuse is. Other than that, take it to a quality shop to have it painted where they prep it properly. Shop around, don't take the shop owners word for it. I notice a lot of the best jobs are done by people who don't know how to talk to people, they are so focused on doing a good job instead. So you need someone with a reputation they can back up.

Line X is heavy and I don't think it power washes well. I have it in my truck bed and it is faded and the mud stains seem to be eternal. I don't think the initial good look that it may have when it leaves the paint shop would last long.

Oh and rumor has it that the OEM paint is crap. That tells me that you shouldn't get depressed over paint that was cheap and made to crack. My truck is turning green by the headlight (silver truck) and I am told 1997 paint had some compound in it that does that. But you said you repainted it so maybe they didnt prep it worth a crap. You did say it was cheap cheap cheap so I think you got what you paid for.

If you are set though, research the dirt thing to see about remedies or coatings that don't do that.

The new premium they spray on last in the line-x process is supposed to last along time. I haven't had mine that long but when I do wash it, it looks as good as the day it was sprayed. The guy that sprayed mine showed me his truck that had been sprayed 4 years prior with line-x premium and it still looked new.

I know a guy who did a home version of the line x to his toyota trail rig. He was a body man by trade did the job himself and it did and still does look pretty good. It is a trail rig though, he doesnt wash it and have no idea how hard it would be to keep clean if thats something your concerned about. My main concern if your talking about taking it to a true line x dealer would be cost. I would think it would get quite expensive. Just the bed and over the rails on my buddies truck was around 500 bucks IIRC. You can probably figure triple (or more) the square footage for doing the whole truck, plus all the masking, paint prepping, and trim removal/assembly, Im guessing you could have it painted for less than what its going to cost and have a great looking rig. Unless thats the look your set on, than go for it :thumbup2:

• Staff

If this was my truck I would probably go to a metal shop where they have a computer guided laser cutter. I would ask them to cut out 5 stainless steel trim rings that follow the footprint of the lights but about a half inch bigger all around. Have them cut the two screw holes also so they are all the same.Then I'd seal down the trim rings and lights together when installing, but after I fixed the loose paint areas.

I appreciate all the replies and ideas some good info right there. Let me first say I have NOT made up my mind although it is going tk sound as though i have. I suppose my thought process on it is that I intend to line x the entire bed, and lowers, bout $900-$1100 dollars worth. I can prolly get a package deal to do the whole truck for not much more if I do the initial prep work, I have no trim on my truck to remove. I had read about the mud issue but I can't help but wonder if its not a degree of texture used. I have seen countless vehicles with the lowers done and have not seen anyone with staining issues there. You can get a UV protected version that is guaranteed not to fade, and the weight shouldn't really be an issue, couple hundred pounds of weight shouldn't kill the fuel mileage. It's like always having a passenger with you, and I haven't ever noticed a fuel mileage difference from having a passenger. Lots to think about and I suppose one thing is just simply talking to line X about it. Thanks again guys I do appreciate the replies.