• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

'04 3500 Cummins sounds like a coach's whistle under boost

Rogan

A buddy of mine has an 04 3500 6spd, 4wd, srw, 248k milesHe has a bhaf, 3pc exh. mani, 4" turbo back exhaust, and a predator programmer.the past few days, he's noticed a noise under boost. I haven't heard it, but he likened it to a coach's whistle..He initially thought his turbo (351cw) was failing, but I said no, as it's fine and makes tons of boost.I think it's a leak or something somewhere. While inspecting his truck last night, I noticed that the vband connection from turbo to downpipe is leaking. It's tight, so I think maybe a flange lip is trashed or something..could that sound be from there?He's also starting to push oil a little. Taking the trim off of the valve cover, the top of the cover is pretty oily. Possibly the filler cap and/or that thingamabob that bolts to the middle of the cover (some pcv/emissions thing?)Any assistance is appreciated.

Check all the boots and clamps between the turbo and intake and then inspect the intake itself for a blown gasket and same with exhaust manifold although that usually sounds like a tick but not always. I would not think a clamp post turbo would result in a whistle sound if he has a free flowing exhaust, whistles come from a pressure source.

He does NOT have a boost gauge OR an egt.. :banghead:I'll tell him to look for gasket failure.I did see a little soot at the exh. mani where the turbo bolts to it; it was about a 1" wide spot at the flange mating seam.The big leak I saw was definitely the v-band flange area.. Soot all over it and adjacent components..

• Staff

Since the 2nd gen setup took some manipulating of the intake pipes I would start there looking for a misplaced boot, etc. As for the exhaust leak, did the centering pin get put back in the hole when the exhaust was moved for the 2nd gen swap? Diesel exhaust leaks are generally silent, but at the exhaust pressures the stock turbo creates I would say a whistle is possible. I would also check the filter tubing, as that can make more whistle too.