• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help request...

• Owner

Hey gang can we help this new family member out with not only his truck but how to use the forum too.

hey man how are ya i had a qustion and can not figuer out how to post it but hear it is i got a 01 2500 ex cab 24 valve turbo cummins wt 5 speed manual trans its got 300thousand miles on it when i start it in the mornin it white smokes a little and untill it warms up it dose it a little when i accelarate but it dose not do it really bad just hear and there or when i get on it kinda hard , i have read fourm after fourm and iv heard about 3 diff things and from what i hear your pretty good with these trucks could you help me out . thank you ,, mike jones

First thing I typically ask for is error codes (using a OBDII reader) and fuel pressure (idle to WOT at highway speeds).

The worn exhaust side turbo seal could be very important since it is a source of unregulated fuel. I don't think I have ever hear of that causing a runaway on a 5.9 though. White would be raw fuel, Valve adjustment? 300,000 is a lot of miles if it was never done.

I have the same problem with mine. The smoke does look white most of the time, but smell it. I had someone start it up for me and the smoke had a real heavy oil smell to it. I also had the cummins shop in town test the blow by and they said my rings were in check. I am almost certain its the turbo.

IF it is a turbo seal and it is leaking bad enough to produce visible smoke you might want to stop driving it until you get that fixed. That is a lot of oil and could possibly lead to a runaway situation.

IF it is a turbo seal and it is leaking bad enough to produce visible smoke you might want to stop driving it until you get that fixed. That is a lot of oil and could possibly lead to a runaway situation.

if the oil is leaking on the intake side. it will get sucked into the engine causing runaway. exhaust side oil seal will just keep blowing more and more white/blue smoke.

if the oil is leaking on the intake side. it will get sucked into the engine causing runaway. exhaust side oil seal will just keep blowing more and more white/blue smoke.

True, wasn't thinking of that side of it.

True, wasn't thinking of that side of it.

Intake side should be easy enough to check, pull the boot off the intake horn, and see if your getting oil residue. It would have to be a substancial amount of oil to travel all the way through the intercooler. I think it would be worth checking first at least from a safety prospective anyway

As far as I know, you should check for end shaft play. It should not move in or out at all. I'm not sure, but I don't think it's supposed to move side to side at all either. I would pull the turbo off just to see what the exhaust side looks like. See if it is leaking back there. Someone else might jump in and give more suggestions too.